Betta With Shrimp?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Bek, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Bek

Bek Valued Member Member

For my 10gal im going to do a betta and dwarf shrimp personally, though theres a chance that my betta isnt tank-mate friendly
    Think I might go with blue velvet shrimp since my lps has several varieties

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2017
  2. jenmur

jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

If you wanted to test your betta you could try Ghost shrimp first. They are cheaper than the fancy colored ones.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2017
  3. OP
    OP
    Bek

Bek Valued Member Member

Yeah thats a good idea, i think ill try that. Still cycling the 10 gal
    But im also cycling a 2.5gal tank in case they dont want to be friends

4. jenmur

I might try my betta out with ghost shrimp. Not 100% sure he'll be ok with them or if they will end up as a betta brunch.

Ohh good idea!

5. OP
    OP
    Bek

Bek Valued Member Member

Ive read that they're usually okay if they have enough hiding places, and the bigger the tank the less agressive bettas tend to be.
    Though I dont know how accurate those statements are since I dont speak from experience

6. jenmur

Working on the hiding places right now. Gotta get something to attach Java fern to. Huh I never heard of that before. I just know that after I clean my tank and get rid of some diatoms Frazier likes to flare at his reflection. Hehe.

7. OP
    OP
    Bek

Bek Valued Member Member

I need more plants too, but ive been stuck at work a ton.
    But thats okay, im still waiting on my lights to come in the mail. Currently have string lights draped around it until i make my lid/ light system.
    Looks really funny, but i guess it works for now

8. jenmur

Hehehe. Makes sense. Wow you are making your own light and hood thing? My betta just has an Aqueon deluxe hood on his tank. As long as it works

9. OP
    OP
    Bek

Bek Valued Member Member

Yeah, thats the plan anyways. I got my tank at petco with their $1 per gallon sale, figured id save more money with a DIY project
    My 2.5 gal came in a nice little set though

10. jenmur

Yeah I wanna try for the $1 a gallon sale too! I dunno if I'll be that lucky though.

11. OP
    OP
    Bek

Bek Valued Member Member

Luck? My petco had a decent stock, i heard the really large tend to tanks go fast
    But if you want around a 20gal im sure your chances are good :)

12. jenmur

I meant when I can get my quarantine tank I dunno if they will be having the sale. I know they have one going on now but I dunno about when I am able to buy the tank. It'll just be a 10 gallon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice