Betta with severe fin rot. Need help picking medication ASAP!

1. andrearamirezo91 Well Known Member Member

Hey guys.

When I introduced the CO2 in my tank my ph shifted abruptly, causing my betta to get fin rot. I wasn't sure for the longest time if he was really sick because the tips of his fins are naturally black, so by the time I noticed it was already pretty serious, and then got worse really really fast.

No salt, pristine water or organic meds. I'm past that point and he's in critical condition. I've been doing large daily water changes and very meticulous gravel vacs. Its doing nothing for him and big gashes of his tail are missing and a few pieces look like they'll be ready to fall off any minute now. I need to go today before the stores close to purchase some medicine for him. I usually try to be patient and wait for people on this forum to give me some guidance before doing any big changes or moves on my tank, but I seriously cant wait another day.

I would hope some of these meds don't mess with my cycle too much. So far people have mentioned furan-2, tertacycline and the maracyn combo. Please please i really need advice! I'm getting ready to go to the lfs and will probably purchase the furan2 if i get no reply before then.

I'll be checking my phone every five minutes till then lol. Thanks everyone.

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Can you attach a pic of him?

3. andrearamirezo91 Well Known Member Member

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'm not trying to be rude, but I don't think that's a critical situation at all. I think his fins might still be able to be fixed with water changes. It can take a little while before you see it get better though. How long have you been doing daily changes?

Is there anything sharp he could be catching his fins on?

5. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Same here, I don't see a serious problem. Looks like mild fin rot to me. I had a Betta, very similar colour to yours actually! He would get fin rot at the drop of a hat but it always healed up quickly with more frequent water changes:)

6. andrearamirezo91 Well Known Member Member

Its just harder to see it through pictures, it really doesn't look that bad in the pics but if you see its tail against the light its all wrinkly and soft almost all the way to where the blue colors start to show. I've been doing daily water changes for two weeks already..

There's a spider driftwood in his tank but I doubt he would be catching his fin on it, the pieces of wood that stick out are pretty thick. Also, I know it doesn't look very serious here, but if you look at my picture next to my name and compare his tail to what it looks like now, you can tell he actually has lost a lot of tissue.

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Two weeks isn't very long to see new growth. It took mine a few months to regrow his tail (he had terrible fin rot when I rescued him - they didn't put a filter on his tank).

8. andrearamirezo91 Well Known Member Member

But its not that it's not growing back, it's that it keeps falling off in little chunks and it's painful to even watch no offense taken at all btw. I appreciate all of your opinions and they greatly influence everything I do with my tank and how I deal with these issues. I guess fishy anxiety is just getting the best of me at the moment

I made the really hard decision of rehoming my rasboras today. I know it wasnt the best scenario to have them in, as they'd do better in something bigger than a 10G so I dropped them off at my favorite LFS. I have had them since I very started my tank I'm not gonna lie I got pretty attached to them... they were small when I bought them and they had gotten huge and super colorful. I just hope they end up in a good home. This should keep Cosmo's stress level at a minimum and reduce competition for food as well. Who knows, maybe it was stress that got him sick in the first place and not the ph shift. Still sad about getting rid of the babies, my tank looks lonely now

9. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Is the pH steady now? What is it?

I personally would still keep up the daily water changes for a few more weeks, but if you want to use meds, maybe a good antibiotic?

10. andrearamirezo91 Well Known Member Member

Well I was advised to buy Furan-2 if he didn't stop getting worse by this week. I went today when I realized it was getting late and I hadn't gotten any responses yet. I guess now we have to wait it out for a few days to see if it works. Hopefully it won't kill my plants or mess with my BB!!

It's been fluctuating between 6.2 and 6.4, maybe because of the oxygen pump I turn on at night? It used to be at a steady 7.4 before the CO2.

11. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, CO2 will acidify your water.