Betta with SBD

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by xshainax, Aug 3, 2015.

1. xshainaxWell Known MemberMember

I need help ASAP. I just bought a new betta today and he has mild SBD. How do I treat it?

2. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Swim bladder disorder? Peas are a good bet, if it's constipation. I don't know how to feed them, though. Others might have more ideas though.

3. xshainaxWell Known MemberMember

I have asked at least 10 groups about it on FB and I am being ignored. :(

4. CindiLFishlore LegendMember

When you say he has swim bladder disease what are his exact symptoms?

Some bettas cannot swim well due to their long and heavy finnage (is that a word? ha). My betta is one of those. He has not been able to swim well for the past year easily. I lowered the water in his tank to help him out so his 5.5g tank is down about 1/3. He can rest on top of the java ferns and poke his head up for air. When he swims for more than a couple of seconds he sinks down to the bottom. Recently since I switched to R/O water I've noticed he's a bit more buoyant and is swimming from plant to plant more. Not sure exactly why but maybe something to do with the less mineral content.

5. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Here, some links for you:

I don't know the accuracy of any of these sites though so it's best to do further research. :)

6. xshainaxWell Known MemberMember

He is just your average VT betta and he wasn't able to swim down and bobbed in the corner

7. junebugFishlore LegendMember

That doesn't necessarily mean he has SBD. If you just got him, just keep his water pristine and warm, and see if anything develops.

8. xshainaxWell Known MemberMember

So, I freaked out over nothing? :-[

9. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Hmm, can you post a picture?

10. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Haha maybe. SBD isn't fatal anyway. Usually clean water and good food are enough to get rid of it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice