Betta with saddleback disease (columnaris)

kellymg7

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 30 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 7 months
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 78-79
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
11 female bettas
5 silver tip tetras
3 nerite snails, 1 mystery
1 panda garra

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Only every few weeks because I've been on vacation on and off recently
How much of the water do you change? 25-30%
What do you use to treat your water?API stress coat and aquarium salt
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? I vacuum the substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
What do you use to test the water?
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:
pH:7

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? twice a day
How much do you feed your fish? About 2-3 pellets per betta and the flake food is eaten within a couple minutes by the others
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega one pellets and the dial-a-treat betta food (I should probably look for higher quality)
Do you feed frozen? no
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? Yes - bloodworms, mysis, and daphnia

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? about 5 months (name is Misty)
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? About 3 weeks ago. I quarantined her for a week and she seemed to be improving but I added her back to the main tank when we went on vacation (easier for neighbor to take care of) and she seems to have gotten worse - showing early signs of dropsy
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? I first noticed a tear in her bottom fin and a discolored area on her back that's still discolored. She has been much more lethargic and hiding more from her "sisters", as I call them, since she is one of my more submissive bettas
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Misty is in a 10 gallon quarantine tank with API stress coat and aquarium salt, but I wanted to do as much research as possible before using medication
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? I'm the most empathetic fish owner.... I buy the fish that don't look healthy because I know no one else will and I don't want them to die (even if I'm not there to see it). I do quarantine for 2 weeks and Misty has been healthy up until late June
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? The tear in her bottom fin is growing (not more tears but missing a chunk in the middle)
She has only become lethargic and hiding the past couple days. She does have a swollen abdomen and I'm nervous she's developing dropsy. It's hard to tell with her color scales (she's very light in color but has black on the edges of her scales), but she hasn't fully pine-coned

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now) About 3 weeks ago I noticed a tear in female betta, Misty's bottom fin and a light area on her back that's still discolored. I quarantined her for a week and she seemed to be improving (tear closing) but I added her back to the main tank when we went on vacation (easier for neighbor to take care of) and the tear widened again. When we got home I did a 30-40% water change in case the water was worsening it, but its been almost a week and I feel like she's gotten worse. Just in the past few days I noticed she's been lethargic and hiding more (will come up for air/food/attention when I first approach, but then swims back to hiding spot) from the other bettas, since she is quite submissive. She has a swollen belly so I'm going to fast her for a few days. Otherwise she still eats like a champ. I'll have to take better photos tomorrow, but these I already have. She's such a cutie
I forgot to fill out the nitrate level, but I tested the water yesterday and everything looked really good. And the tank is fully cycled

Attachments

• IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 29

betta06

what you are doing now is a great start!

columanaris treatment.
so as you may know columanaris is bacterial, so when looking for medications make sure it will treat that and not fungal. I have heared kanaplex and furven 2 together have been successful at treating it but i have never tried it myself.

dropsy.
start daily epson salt baths just under a tbs per gallon for 10 minutes a day.

remember for both of these keep clean water is extremely important if you can 25% daily. and i would keep doing the stress guard as well as soaking her food in garlic juice. also one of the causes for this could have been stress (unless she was like this when you got her) betta sororites are quite stressful for the fish most of the time, but not saying that is the problem i had one a while ago and they got on great!

also since i am not as familliar with columanaris mabye Betta'sAnonymous can help.

Upvote 0

kellymg7

what you are doing now is a great start!

columanaris treatment.
so as you may know columanaris is bacterial, so when looking for medications make sure it will treat that and not fungal. I have heared kanaplex and furven 2 together have been successful at treating it but i have never tried it myself.

dropsy.
start daily epson salt baths just under a tbs per gallon for 10 minutes a day.

remember for both of these keep clean water is extremely important if you can 25% daily. and i would keep doing the stress guard as well as soaking her food in garlic juice. also one of the causes for this could have been stress (unless she was like this when you got her) betta sororites are quite stressful for the fish most of the time, but not saying that is the problem i had one a while ago and they got on great!

also since i am not as familliar with columanaris mabye Betta'sAnonymous can help.
Thank you so much! I was also thinking kanaplex and furan 2 but I went to 3 pet stores that didn’t have either. Hopefully I can order it or something and manage with the baths for now.
They do get on really well! The two least aggressive bettas are the ones who got the infection - I’m sure they were all a bit stressed being taken care of by someone else while I was gone :(

Upvote 0

betta06

Thank you so much! I was also thinking kanaplex and furan 2 but I went to 3 pet stores that didn’t have either. Hopefully I can order it or something and manage with the baths for now.
They do get on really well! The two least aggressive bettas are the ones who got the infection - I’m sure they were all a bit stressed being taken care of by someone else while I was gone :(
your welcome! I don't have either of those where i am so it is possible you just don't have those meds but most that treat bacterial should work.

Upvote 0

LowConductivity

If you are 3 weeks into her displaying these symptoms, its likely not columnaris. In my experience, by the time you spot lesions on the saddle, the gills are very close to being complete toast

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
ChitaBetta
  • Question
Replies
Views