Question Betta with reoccuring swim bladder disorder

Angelfishfinatic

Reaction score
Okay so, my little rescue betta got better last night and was able to swim, and it now looks like he just floats back up when he swims down, I've been holding it off but I think it might be time for an epsom salt bath. Could it just be his genetics? Or does he have a small stomach?
Any help would be great :D

Attachments

OP
Angelfishfinatic

Angelfishfinatic

Reaction score
Aquariumlover1357 said:
How much do you feed him?
Today I gave him one brine shrimp to see how it went, I rescued him on sunday from petsmart because he had a really really bad swim bladder problem, should I wait a while after the swim bladder infection is over before I feed him?

ValkyrieLips

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd start fasting him for a few days then try giving him daphnia (it has a laxative effect). Make sure his water is pristine as well and keep an eye out for raised scales. Once the bloat is gone you'll want to slowly re-feed him so he doesn't become constipated again.

OP
Angelfishfinatic

Angelfishfinatic

Reaction score
ValkyrieLips said:
I'd start fasting him for a few days then try giving him daphnia (it has a laxative effect). Make sure his water is pristine as well and keep an eye out for raised scales. Once the bloat is gone you'll want to slowly re-feed him so he doesn't become constipated again.
I think I might have been overreacting last night because now he's swimming around in his tank normally again, I'm still going to fast him for a few days though. I was looking for daphnia at petsmart last time I went, but they were all out of daphnia and bloodworms. I don't have any local fish or pet stores in my area aside from chain stores :(

ValkyrieLips

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Angelfishfinatic said:
I think I might have been overreacting last night because now he's swimming around in his tank normally again, I'm still going to fast him for a few days though. I was looking for daphnia at petsmart last time I went, but they were all out of daphnia and bloodworms. I don't have any local fish or pet stores in my area aside from chain stores :(
No worries, I'm glad he's feeling better. You could probably order freeze dried daphnia off amazon if you wanted some for the future but I wouldn't stress.

OP
Angelfishfinatic

Angelfishfinatic

Reaction score
So my betta that I rescued from petsmart recently got over a swim bladder problem, but I noticed that he sometimes sits on top of the quarantine tank on his side still, I think his tail is a little bit heavy for him since he's still a juvenile, or could he still be getting over his swim bladder problem? I think I might treat him for fungal and bacterial infections just in case there might be something else affecting him. Does anyone have any ideas about what might be wrong? He still has an appetite even though I'm only feeding him 1 brine shrimp a day because of his swim bladder issue, does he need to be fed more?

Attachments

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Angelfishfinatic said:
Sorry, my camera kinda sucks!
I got a betta when he was approximately 2-3 months old and I watched him grow up and he never had an issue with his fins being too heavy. He is probably leaning back because of the swim bladder issue. Try feeding him some daphnia. From what I have heard, it should help.

OP
Angelfishfinatic

Angelfishfinatic

Reaction score
AquaticQueen said:
I got a betta when he was approximately 2-3 months old and I watched him grow up and he never had an issue with his fins being too heavy. He is probably leaning back because of the swim bladder issue. Try feeding him some daphnia. From what I have heard, it should help.
Do you think freeze dried daphnia should work?? I think you can get some at walmart but I don't know if it will do the same as frozen, the petsmart closest to me didn't have any daphnia when I went there last

On Sunday I rescued a betta fish from petsmart that had severe swim bladder issues, I've seen improvement but now he just lays on the bottom of his quarantine tank a lot, he still has an appetite though. Is he just bored? Or should I treat him for parasites, fungus, etc?

Here's a picture of what he's been doing.

Attachments

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you have a air stone and heater in there? Sadly he doesn't look well. :( I would change some water if you haven't already. See if that perks him up.

OP
Angelfishfinatic

Angelfishfinatic

Reaction score
StarGirl said:
Do you have a air stone and heater in there? Sadly he doesn't look well. :( I would change some water if you haven't already. See if that perks him up.
I changed the water and added an airstone and he seems to be doing a bit better :D
Would it be a good idea to add some starter bacteria?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Im guessing the quarantine tank isn't cycled? How much water did you change? I have like 85 questions so we'll do a few at a time :p

OP
Angelfishfinatic

Angelfishfinatic

Reaction score
StarGirl said:
Im guessing the quarantine tank isn't cycled? How much water did you change? I have like 85 questions so we'll do a few at a time :p
Nope, I didn't plan on getting him when I did cuz he was already on the verge of death when I rescued him, would it be a good idea to add pre-cycled media from one of my cycled tanks into the quarantine tank?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Angelfishfinatic said:
Nope, I didn't plan on getting him when I did cuz he was already on the verge of death when I rescued him, would it be s good idea to add pre-cycled media from one of my cycled tanks into the quarantine tank?
I don't think just putting it in there without a filter is going to do much. I would really keep an eye on the ammonia and change some water every day. Do you have a ammonia test kit? Do you have a tank to put him in with a filter and heater?

OP
Angelfishfinatic

Angelfishfinatic

Reaction score
StarGirl said:
I don't think just putting it in there without a filter is going to do much. I would really keep an eye on the ammonia and change some water every day. Do you have a ammonia test kit? Do you have a tank to put him in with a filter and heater?
I don't have an ammonia test kit because all of the test kits in my area are ridiculously expensive, and yes, I have a divided 10 gallon tank for him to go into! I'm just not gonna be home tonight so I'm taking him to my grandparents' house with me since I don't wanna leave him by himself. He kind of looks like he's having swim bladder problems again but I'm not sure what else to do, I might give him another epsom salt bath when I get home

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If hes going to be the only one in the tank I would just get him in there as its going to be the same as the quarantine tank. Is there another fish in the divided tank already? Is that tank cycled? You can get the entire API freshwater test kit on amazon for like 22$ otherwise they are like 8- 10 a piece for each test. I would try to get the ammonia test at minimum.

OP
Angelfishfinatic

Angelfishfinatic

Reaction score
StarGirl said:
If hes going to be the only one in the tank I would just get him in there as its going to be the same as the quarantine tank. Is there another fish in the divided tank already? Is that tank cycled? You can get the entire API freshwater test kit on amazon for like 22$ otherwise they are like 8- 10 a piece for each test. I would try to get the ammonia test at minimum.
Yes, the tank is cycled! And okay I'll look on amazon too, thank you so much! :D

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good luck with the little guy! Any more questions just stop back. ;)

New Threads