Betta With Raised Scales?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Courtz, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Courtz

Courtz New Member Member

Hi there! I noticed today that one of my Bettas looks a little bloated and a few of the scales on his sides are raised looking? His name is Bubbles and he's about 3 years old. He's still swimming around fine and eating no problem. I'll attach some pictures so you guys can see what I'm talking about!

My tank is 2.5 gallons and cycled. It has a small sponge filter and live plants.

Ammonia is 0
    Nitrite is 0
    Nitrate is 10
    pH is around 8
    Temperature is 80F

The only thing that's changed is that he's taken to hanging out behind his filter? I thought maybe he had rubbed his scales on that, but I wanted some second opinions :( I've already done a 50% water change today and added some aquarium salt, but any other advice would be appreciated!

IMG_20180418_210251571_LL.jpg
    IMG_20180418_210407539_LL.jpg IMG_20180418_210259315_LL.jpg

2. WanhiBetta

WanhiBetta Valued Member Member

This is dropsy. The aquarium salt will make it worst, the only treatment is epsom salt.

3. OP
    OP
    Courtz

Courtz New Member Member

Well shoot :( I don't have any epsom salt on hand, but I'll try to get some. How is the best way to treat it with the epsom salt? I have a hospital tank I can treat him in.

4. WanhiBetta

Take a look at the section about Epsom salt. You could also treat with Kanaplex if you got some on hand.

5. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Additionally, try fasting for a day or two then feeding either shelled and blanched pea or daphnia. Also betta's are not really salt tolerant, so it's better just to not use salt for them
    Dropsy Treatment

6. OP
    OP
    Courtz

Courtz New Member Member

I'll do that, thanks! I don't have any of that on hand either, but I can drop my the store tomorrow after work and pick some up

When you say salt, do you mean the aquarium salt, epsom salt, or both? o: I've had to fast my other Betta before when he has SBD, but he didn't go for the peas :( he still recovered, and is doing fine, but the peas were not a hit... I'll definitely try though!

7. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Betta's are sensitive to aquarium salt, Epsom salt should be fine. I'm going to be honest, I'm not 100% on if you can add it to the main tank with a betta or just do baths, as I've been treating a goldfish. If you do add it to the main tank (if someone more experienced gives it the ok) dissolve it tank water and slowly add it.
    It is a little weird that the bulge is only on one side, it may be a tumor? If it is, treatment for dropsy won't help, but it won't hurt either, so best to start there I think.

8. OP
    OP
    Courtz

Courtz New Member Member

I notice a little roughness to his scales on the other side, but it definitely seems to me more on one side :( I hope it's not a tumor... Something treatable would be preferred Dx thank you for your advice!

9. WanhiBetta

I hate using salt with betta generally but it's by far the best treatment for dropsy. But you absolutely need to do dips of 10-15 mins and not put the salt in the main tank.

10. OP
    OP
    Courtz

Courtz New Member Member

Just got finished reading about the salt baths :) tomorrow I'll pick up some epsom salt and do the 10-15 minute dips in my hospital tank. Thank you for the help!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  11. WanhiBetta

My pleasure! Hope he'll get better :)

12. Skye_marilyn

Skye_marilyn Well Known Member Member

It’s definitely dropsy and I know bc the same exact thing happened to my boy who passed a few days ago. If caught early it can’t be cured but you never know for sure, it like cancer, sometimes you win sometimes you lose. It is especially hard with older bettas over 3 years bc that is pretty much the max life span for your average petco betta. The only treatment is Epsom baths every day (not in the tank ever) which there are tons of articles and vids for or a kanamycin and furan 2 combo in a hospital tank. If you don’t want to dose separate meds worried you’ll overdose I recommend spectrogram, it’s a premixed med made with kanamycin and furan 2.

13. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

He also has pop eye do a dose of Kanaplex

14. OP
    OP
    Courtz

Courtz New Member Member

I'm sorry you lost your fish :( I hope I can get him treated and feeling better, at least for a while... I had my first Betta for 5 years, I was hoping Bubbles would last at least as long :( thank you for the suggestions!

I don't think he has pop eye o: his eyes have always looked like that, for the two years I've had him. He's never seemed to have any issues before o:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice