Betta with raised red area on side

JaneGael

I posted the other day thinking he just had a tumor or abscess. Today I caught him to move to his hospital tank and when I finally got a good look, I found that it's much worse than that. The red area on his side also looks a little fuzzy. The scales are raised with the redness apparently pushing them upward. I've never seen anything like it. There are also a few areas of raised scales spotted around his side that aren't red.

He came out of a 20g with harlequin rasboras and panda cories with nothing he could really scrape himself on. Going into cycled 10g hospital tank. Added to hospital tank are 2.5 oz aquarium salt and a dose of Kanaplex and Prime. He's active and eating well. Any help would be appreciated.

10g, Temp 78F, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, pH 7.4, Nitrate 6-7 - tested with API kit.

Attachments

• B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 5
  • B3.jpg
    B3.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 5
  • B2.jpg
    B2.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 5

FoldedCheese

I'm not sure about the red scales, but the bumps might be tumors. I've read that blue marbles are particularly prone to tumors so there is probably a genetic component.

JaneGael

I've had one with cancer but never a tumor. I thought that's all it was until I finally got a look at him and saw that red area. I wish my bettas would stop coming down with unique ailments. Poor little fellas are so over-bred that they are prey to all sorts of weird things.

Rose of Sharon

Hi JaneGael,

When I looked at the pic, it reminded me of something that I have been reading about off and on. I am not positive about it, but it is worth looking into.

While I don't have any experience with the disease, I would recommend that you read about columnaris, and see if that fits what you are seeing. The red sore looking patch along with possibly something that looks fungal together may be columnaris, and that is something that you would want to treat right away.

From all of the things that I have read, there are at least 4 strains of it, and the treatment would require antibiotics (you are already using kanaplex) along with a med that has nitrofurazone as a main ingredient.

It's also recommended that the temp be turned down a bit to 75 degrees, slowly.

There are plenty of threads about it, if you want to search the site.

Again, I am not positive by any means, but it just has that look to me. I may be very wrong, and if I am, I am sorry!!!! There are many members with experience treating it who may be able to help you more.

I hope this helps!

That is a beautiful betta, too....so gorgeous!!!!

JaneGael

I checked out columnaris and found some pictures of a serious bacterial infection that look closer to what Bartholomew has. I'm going to add some Furan-2 to the tank tomorrow. That and Kanaplex are good for Columnaris, so maybe something will work. He's been my sassy desk companion for two years and I'd like to keep him around for awhile.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JaneGael
Replies
Views
Courtz
Replies
Views
Ipsum00
Replies
Views