Betta With Possible Swim Bladder Disease Help

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Insane_Gamer2026, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Insane_Gamer2026

Insane_Gamer2026New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    What is the water volume of the tank? 20 Gallons
    How long has the tank been running? 8 days
    Does it have a filter? Yes
    Does it have a heater? Yes
    What is the water temperature? 80F
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 Betta

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water?once a week
    How much of the water do you change? 25%
    What do you use to treat your water? Prime dechlorinator
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Vacuum the substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No
    What do you use to test the water? water testing kit
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 2 ppm
    Nitrite: .5 ppm
    Nitrate: 10 ppm
    pH:
    (yes its time for a water change)

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? once a day
    How much do you feed your fish? pinch of food
    What brand of food do you feed your fish?tetra and omega
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? one or the other once a week

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? since late fall
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? a couple of weeks ago
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? sits at the bottom of the tank looking almost dead. He is extremely lethargic and has lots of trouble swimming. and shows no interest in food offered to him.
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? after moving him to his current tank I fasted him for 3 days and offered chopped peas everyday after (which he shows no interest in eating.
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? He has become bery lethargic and his red color seems to have faded a bit.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

Alright a couple of weeks ago I noticed my betta was laying on the bottom of the 37 gallon planted tank that he was being kept in after a week of watching him and seeing his condition worsen I decided to move him into an empty 20 gallon tank while i found out hat was wrong. ultimately I came to the conclusion that I thought he was suffering from swim bladder disease so I looked at treatments and fasted him for three days followed by offering a skinned chopped pea everyday after but its been 7 days since I last saw him eat and im becoming worried.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +481
    Experience:
    Just started
    You are probably right with the Swim Bladder Disease, you are doing the right thing by fasting him and peas. I think it may have trouble getting up to get the food because of it also, since they are labyrinth fish make sure the Betta is getting oxygen since it needs it to live. I would try feeding him so he does not have to move to get it maybe use tweezers to give it to him.

3. OP
    OP
    Insane_Gamer2026

Insane_Gamer2026New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I have tried nudging peas up to his mouth but he still showed no interest tho I may try again today using proper tweezers. I noticed that the peas have a tenancy to sink to the bottom of the tank.

4. Venom

VenomNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    You can try moving the betta to a bowl with a small amount of water in it so it doesn’t have to struggle to get to the surface to breathe and I would keep fasting it until it starts to move around more. It always works with my betta.