Betta with popeye

Damien808

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've noticed in the last two days one of my two male Bettas in a divided tank has developed Popeye in one of his eyes. He hasnt eaten like normal(rushing to the surface)and has been kinda laying down. My other Betta is fine. Water parameters have been the same since they've been in there for over year now. How do you treat this? (Currently doing 50% water change just to be safe)

Damien808

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Would a fluval chi be a good quarantine tank with his current filter? And is espom with eucalyptus alright or should I get some regular espom?

Damien808

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years

He hasnt moved from this spot for the whole day now which worries me

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Don't use epsom salts with anything in them, especially not eucalyptus.

What are your parameters? How large is his tank and how often/how much water do you change?

Damien808

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
10 gallons I do 25% weekly. Parameters stable nothing out of check. I think maybe he scraped his eye against a rock since he likes to lie down on the substrate instead of the leaf I provide him with. I'll be sure to grab some 100% espom salt hope it helps he doesn't look to good

Damien808

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sorry man I'm unable to test I recently dropped my test kit in a tank and ruined it all of it mixed and such but last I checked everything was in check and nothing has changed since then (water changes)

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do you remember approximately what your parameters were then? How were the fish in that tank or were all the lids on tight?:shock:

Damien808

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Aquaphobia said:
Do you remember approximately what your parameters were then? How were the fish in that tank or were all the lids on tight?:shock:
sorry bad with numbers. it was on a tank i was cycling so no fish in it and the cover caved in cause i just put it back on after rescaping and i had all the test things on there open like an idiot and well thats that lol.

Damien808

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That's the plan so moving tanks is a bad idea right? It would just stress him out even more

Damien808

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well it looks like he passed overnight. Thanks for the help everyone I'll be sure to take preventative measures next time

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Aww, I'm sorry to hear that x

Please don't blame yourself, sometimes fish don't show any symptoms until it's too late to do anything. You did the best you could!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom