Betta With Parasites? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by nicoless, Apr 12, 2018.

1. nicolessValued MemberMember

Hi there--

I'm concerned that my betta has parasites. Her poop has become long, white and stringy. She's still active and a good eater, but the poop is not improving.

Tiny white bugs showed up in the tank a couple of months ago, and she routinely eats them. I haven't been able to identify them, so I'm not sure if they're the problem or not.

She is in a 5.5 gallon tank. I'm hoping to build her a new 10 gallon tank soon, but for now, what would be the best treatment for her?

Let me know if I can provide any more helpful info, and thank you for any help/advice!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2018
  2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

i white stingy poop does sound like parasites and i would begin treatment for that. Add garlic to their food to boost their immune system. The whit bugs that you described could very possibly be skuds which are actually beneficial to your aquarium, but don't quote me yet. Maybe post a picture of them to show us.

3. OP
    OP
    n

nicolessValued MemberMember

Thank you-- I will give her garlic. Will garlic kill the parasites or just boost her immune system?
    Is there some other treatment I should give her?

The bugs are so tiny I'm not sure I'll be able to get a good photo, but I'll try! Thanks!

Here's a video-- the bugs are so small it's hard to get a good shot. Hopefully this helps!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2018
  4. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

garlic only boosts the immune system and you will need to buy a parasite medication.

5. OP
    OP
    n

nicolessValued MemberMember

Okay- thank you for your help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice