Betta with other fish

1. Abbielouise1804 Member Member

Can I have a betta with some tetras e.g neons? Or do they need to be kept alone?

If not, are there any other fish that would be compatible?

I have a 40L tank.

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't put a betta with any other fish in a 10 gallon. Partly because there's not enough room for them to get away from each other, but also because neons need cooler temperatures than bettas. You could keep a betta alone in a 10!

3. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

You could do a separated 10g, one betta on each size and a shrimp colony.:)
    Welcome to the forum!

4. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Could also do one solo Betta with ghost or Amano shrimp. Ghosts and Amano tend to be large enough that the Betta won't pick on them. I'd be worried about doing Red Cherry Shrimp as they're a little smaller and easier to pick on.

Depends on Betta temperament. Some are cranky and murderous and others are chill as can be. My Betta Hugo lives in a 10 gallon with Amano shrimp and he doesn't even give them the time of day hahah. But be sure to give both the shrimp and the Betta places where they can hide if they like. Here's my tank,
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, plenty of places for each to hide.
    I also have 2 nerite snails in there, which are another good option! I've heard mystery snails are good too.

Be sure to keep us posted on what you decide to do! Good luck!

5. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Yep. Community betta aren't recommended because of aggression and space to avoid it.

You'd be looking at a 20 gal/80 L minimum to attempt such a feat and still need a back up tank in the event it doesn't work. You also need to look at peaceful fish without fancy fins that live in the 78-82° F range.

6. Maxi1 Member Member

Haven't I read somewhere that too tall tanks can be bad for betta fish, fespecially males that might get too tired coming to the top over and over to breathe?

7. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Correct, but 10 gallon is nowhere near tall enough for this to be an issue. Neither are most tanks to be honest, if you consider that in their natural habitat they are often in water that will be deeper than your tank is going to be. I personally wouldn't keep a single Betta in something larger than a 10, and definitely not a 20 tall, but a 20 or 20 long would definitely be comfortable for a Betta. Just give it places to rest above the ground, such as plants.

8. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Bettas in the wild also don't have the flouncy fins many of our fancy bettas do though so there's not as much they have to drag to the surface;)

9. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Yup. Nothing too much over the 12"/30 cm mark to be safe. Tall broad leaf plants are great for them to rest on at night so they are close to the surface

10. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Unless your Betta is like mine and won't sleep on anything but gravel even though I provide him with a lush Amazon sword just for him. you can watch him at night and he'll pass out on the ground for a little then bob up to the surface for a breath then shoot back down to the ground and pass out again. Granted my Betta is a King Betta and his fins are much shorter than the fancy bettas so he isn't really ever tired out by swimming.

11. Avaismyfava1 Member Member

I have kept a betta and a school of neon tetras in a 10 gallon many times in the past, but iT really depends on the betta.

12. Zed Initiate Member

I've also kept a betta with 3 neons and a skirt tetra in a 10 gallon and they seemed happy, now I realize that it wasn't fair to the betta, but generally they'll get along.

13. octavio Member Member

I've never had a problem keeping male Bettas in 10 or 5 gallon tanks with peaceful species. I have a 5 year-old (yes, 5 years) elegant crown tail in my 75 gallon heavily planted community tank. He seems to enjoy the freedom of lots of space. No problem swimming everywhere. But others, as you've read, have not had the same experience I've had. I suggest that you will need to experiment and discover for yourself.

Excellent fish for living in the same tank: most corydura catfish, ghost shrimp, white cloud mountain fish . . . many can live at 78 degrees with a Betta, although they are commonly kept at lower temperatures.

Good luck.

14. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't suggest cories for 10 gallons though as they prefer more space to explore.

15. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Cories are a 20 gallon minimum for a proper school

16. Anastasia Vedmedenko Initiate Member

I used to keep my betta in a 10 gallon with a school of harlequin rasboras and a couple amano shrimp. They became the best of friends :) I've found that they are very compatible. Be ready to do more water water changes to make up for the increased bioload and keep a spare tank around to put the betta into just in case he turns out to be aggressive. I've moved this guy into his own 10 gallon recently and have been trying to find other tankmates for him so I'm in the same boat as you :) Here's a picture of his old setup with the rasboras (I couldn't get it to flip horizontally :( sorry)
    betta1.JPG

17. Anastasia Vedmedenko Initiate Member

OH! and I've heard that ember tetras can work. I'd stay away from neons since they apparently are really picky about their water parameters. I may just give embers a try for myself in my new tank :)

18. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

To my surprise, i went to different pet shop today and seen male bettas swimming around in the community tanks of fish. Only 1 male per tank though. One was even in with a heap of dwarf gouramis! I stood there and observed them for around 20 minutes, they were content and happy and not at all interested in the other fish. So of course that got the better of me and i brought one of the males from the community tanks. Brought him home and put him in a tank with 2 Albino Corydoras Catfish and 4 six month old Mollies. The betta checked them all out and is now swimming around minding his own business! The catfish go flying past him and he doesn't even flinch lol I will be keeping a close on on them and of course i have spare tanks etc if anything was to go wrong, but all looks well atm :)

19. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Good luck! Bettas on the whole aren't nearly the bloodthirsty killers they're sometimes painted as. They do have the ability to inflict damage though and are territorial. If you can provide the right kind of setup it may well work. Glad you have backup housing though:)

20. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

Hi so my Betta Chewy lives in a 10g with 6 neon tetras. Some will say the tank is too small for them. I originally tried it with my Betta flame who is an a**hole and can't even live with snails. Luckily I had a three gallon left over so I stuck him in there and got a new Betta (chewy) who lives happily with his tetras. The only thing is that the female neons are nippy so I get all males now.