Betta with ongoing fungal infection

oliviawilliam2017

my boy got saprolegnia about a month ago. i’ve been treating him with paraguard and the rotting of his dorsal fin stopped pretty quickly after using this medication. since then he has been experiencing discoloration on random areas of his body. some of his sales are lighter in color, and some areas of his fins are turning white. i want to specify though that he is not developing any fuzz or fungus on his body, parts of him are just discolored. an area on his stomach is lighter blue than it used to be and his mouth is white. his mouth must’ve had some sort of fungus on it because it eventually became very red, and it is now turning pale again, although i never saw any fuzz on his mouth. does the discoloration sound like the fungus is still there, or is this possibly just happening from being on the meds for a few weeks?

he’s very lethargic. he still eats though. i’m not sure if it’s a great idea to continue using the paraguard but i’m not sure what else to do for him

Rose of Sharon

Sounds like the poor guy has really been through it!!!

Can you post a good pic? That would help in diagnosing/answering your questions.

Are you still using the Paraguard?

Upvote 0

oliviawilliam2017

Sounds like the poor guy has really been through it!!!

Can you post a good pic? That would help in diagnosing/answering your questions.

Are you still using the Paraguard?
best picture i can get is this, he hates the flash and there’s no light in his hospital tank. his lip used to be pretty white, then got bloody and now looks like this. i think it’s healing. you can also see a spot on his head of the discoloration i was talking about. he has multiple spots like that on his body but none of them have gotten fuzzy or anything so i’m wondering if it’s just some sort of discoloration due to stress/illness. he is still on paraguard, i tried multiple meds at the beginning that didn’t work so he’s only been on the paraguard for about two and a half weeks now
F9374A38-3EA5-4287-B757-3FEF3B0C441A.jpeg

Upvote 0

Zartic

Make sure you really, really clearly can see the outside of his body and observe for any visible infections. How long have you been dosing? Do you do water changes? How big is the tank?

Paraguard helped my Betta a few weeks ago from whole in the head and then he developed bladder disease. He made it through. But last few days he's acting weird again.
It looks like you overmedicated him in the beginning. That can do a lot of damage to their liver.

Whats the water quality? Do a water change small amount, and give it a day off with not medication because if you can't see anything outside of him what are you medicating?
It looks like you overmedicated him in the beginning. That can do a lot of damage to their liver.

Whats the water quality? Do a water change small amount, and give it a day off with not medication because if you can't see anything outside of him what are you medicating?

Upvote 0

oliviawilliam2017

Make sure you really, really clearly can see the outside of his body and observe for any visible infections. How long have you been dosing? Do you do water changes? How big is the tank?

Paraguard helped my Betta a few weeks ago from whole in the head and then he developed bladder disease. He made it through. But last few days he's acting weird again.

he’s in a quarantine tank that’s filled to a gallon, i do 100% water changes daily so his water quality is always great. it’s heated and has an air stone. he’s been on the meds for about two and a half weeks straight. i don’t see any infection, just the discoloration, which is what i’m asking about mainly. i’m not sure if this discoloration is in fact an infection or if it’s just him becoming discolored due to stress/illness

Upvote 0

Zartic

The disease should be dead by now, and perfect water quality will get him back to health. Take a break from meds.
he’s in a quarantine tank that’s filled to a gallon, i do 100% water changes daily so his water quality is always great. it’s heated and has an air stone. he’s been on the meds for about two and a half weeks straight. i don’t see any infection, just the discoloration, which is what i’m asking about mainly. i’m not sure if this discoloration is in fact an infection or if it’s just him becoming discolored due to stress/illness

100% water changes daily? Does the tank have a filter or just an air stone? What are the water parameters?
The discoloration is most likely shock. Bettas also will change colors depending on how theyre feeling. You said you thought for sure he had fungus but never saw any fungus. It should be pretty clear externally if has fungal, or a parasite. Based on your picture nothing seems obviously wrong with him. Just daily shock of water changes, un-established environment, tons of medication straining his liver.

Internal bacteria can possibly be a problem based on his lethargic behavior but try fixing the other things first.

Upvote 0

oliviawilliam2017

The disease should be dead by now, and perfect water quality will get him back to health. Take a break from meds.

100% water changes daily? Does the tank have a filter or just an air stone? What are the water parameters?
The discoloration is most likely shock. Bettas also will change colors depending on how theyre feeling. You said you thought for sure he had fungus but never saw any fungus. It should be pretty clear externally if has fungal, or a parasite. Based on your picture nothing seems obviously wrong with him. Just daily shock of water changes, un-established environment, tons of medication straining his liver.

Internal bacteria can possibly be a problem based on his lethargic behavior but try fixing the other things first.
i feel as if i explained what’s going on pretty thoroughly in my post but i’ll go more in depth. he developed saprolegnia a month ago, which created a thick fungus on his dorsal fin and quickly rotted his dorsal fin. i moved him to a hospital tank and began treatment with paraguard. the paraguard killed the fungus but i have left him on it as i’m still noticing discoloration. i took him off of the paraguard for a little bit and the discolored parts of his fin began to turn red, so i started him back on the paraguard. i made this post to ask what the discoloration may be, as more and more discolored spots are popping up even though he is still on medication. i’m not using meds recklessly. this was necessary to get rid of the saprolegnia

as i’ve said, he’s in a hospital tank. so no, it’s not cycled, and i don’t have a filter in it because it’s completely unnecessary for what i’m doing in this tank. i remove him from the tank daily and clean the tank. the tank is heated and has an air stone to supply him with enough oxygen and water agitation so the water isn’t stagnate. his parameters are fine, like i said, i’m changing the water completely every single day. i know that this is not an ideal living situation but that’s not the point. he’s in this tank to get rid of illness, not to live here permanently. when i spotted the saprolegnia on him i didn’t have the time to go ahead and cycle a tank for him. he needed treatment so i’m doing what i can to help him. his main tank is a 10 gallon that is heavily planted, has a filter and heater, is established, and has a colony of blue dreams

the main reason i made this post was to figure out if this discoloration is due to the saprolegnia infection

Upvote 0

Rose of Sharon

The white spots could be from stress, or maybe changes in his coloring, even.

If the problem is a bacterial issue, I don't think that the paraguard is helping any longer. I might suggest that you use some aquarium salt in the hospital tank. That helps with bacterial infections. If you don't see some improvement over the next week or so, you might want to look at getting an antibiotic that treats gram negative infections. Since you have paraguard, you might be familiar with Seachem products. You can go to that web site and see what they have, and what each med does. Neoplex (neomycin) will treat some bacterial infections; the other stronger option is kanaplex (kanamycin). Kanaplex is the stronger of the 2 meds.

I have e-mailed the seachem people before with questions; they usually get back to you within a couple of working days. Or, you could call them if you would like.

I do hope he gets better. It sounds like you are doing everything that you possibly can for him!!!

Upvote 0

oliviawilliam2017

The white spots could be from stress, or maybe changes in his coloring, even.

If the problem is a bacterial issue, I don't think that the paraguard is helping any longer. I might suggest that you use some aquarium salt in the hospital tank. That helps with bacterial infections. If you don't see some improvement over the next week or so, you might want to look at getting an antibiotic that treats gram negative infections. Since you have paraguard, you might be familiar with Seachem products. You can go to that web site and see what they have, and what each med does. Neoplex (neomycin) will treat some bacterial infections; the other stronger option is kanaplex (kanamycin). Kanaplex is the stronger of the 2 meds.

I have e-mailed the seachem people before with questions; they usually get back to you within a couple of working days. Or, you could call them if you would like.

I do hope he gets better. It sounds like you are doing everything that you possibly can for him!!!
thank you for your reply! i do have kanaplex, actually at the beginning of his treatment i thought that he had columnaris so i started him on kanaplex and furan-2 treatment, which didn’t work at all. but honestly i think you’re right. the white spots are probably from stress. i’ll try taking him off of it and see what happens. and thank you, i really appreciate that!

Upvote 0

Rose of Sharon

You are very welcome!
I do hope that he gets better!!!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Seamus111
Replies
Views
TeeJay89