Betta with Mucusy poop serious or not?

NaginiFay

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
Every other day

How much do you feed your fish?
2-3 betta pellets

What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Aqueon
Do you feed frozen? no
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? no

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 10 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 2 days
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
She has a long string of what looks like mucus with a half digested food pellet stuck in it hanging out of her. She has not eaten since was moved to a jar to separate her from my other female betta. In the picture you can see that her fins are in the process of healing.

Have you started any treatment for the illness? No

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Her injuries from fighting are healing normally, despite not eating, but she is less active than usual. I'm sure she's cold, but I don't want to put her back in the tank if she is sick.

I did divide the tank some time ago, but my bettas keep knocking the wall loose. I have reinforced it yet again, and if it fails, betta number 2 is getting her own tank.

Attachments

• 20220606_204308.jpg
    20220606_204308.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 3

Idkitsathrowaway

She has a internal parasite(not entirely sure) based on how her poo is. I recommend setting up a hospital. Tank and giving her some medicated food. Do mutch more frequent water changes and let her rest. Turn up any bubbler to help put on in the water. Also don't be afraid to medicate the water as well I hope she gets better!

NaginiFay

What kind of parasite are you thinking?

Rose of Sharon

If you want to use a dewormer, you can try to find something like levamisole flakes. That will help with nematodes, round worms, or hookworms. Prazipro is another option.

I am not sure that she has intestinal parasites. If she was losing weight and started having other problems, I would think she would have. But bettas can have long stringy poop when their environments change or they have a change in diet. What you are seeing is an empty fecal cast, with some food at the very bottom. Since you have had her for 10 months, I would think that if she had parasites, it would have surfaced before now, unless you added something new the the tank that she was in that may have been infected with parasites.

I would recommend that you feed her every day, and fast one day out of the week. It actually sounds like you may not be feeding her enough. I would also recommend feeding her a variety of foods. Frozen brine shrimp and blood worms are good. Frozen daphnia will help keep her digestive system in good shape. For pellets, Fluval Bug Bites are good as well as Omega One pellets.

Hope this helps!!! :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
Replies
Views
JuneL
Replies
Views
SinisterCichlids
Replies