Betta With Loss Of Appetite?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by gessummers, Apr 13, 2017.

1. gessummersNew MemberMember

Hi all,

I'm a bit worried about my betta; he hasn't been eating the past few days, and has had a reduced appetite lately. I've had him since last January and is probably around 2 years old.

He is kept in a heated, filtered, 10G aquarium with driftwood and live plants. I started adding catappa leaves lately since I noticed my water ph was a bit higher than usual.

pH was around 8, and is now going back down to about 7.4-7.6. Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates are all at 0.

I use a shrimp and fish meal based pellet with 42% crude protein and freeze dried blood worms.

No symptoms other than loss of appetite indicating fin rot, ich, or pop-eye.

Does anyone know why he isn't eating? Or had a similar experience and have some advice on next steps? I gave him a pea yesterday for constipation, but he's still not eating.

Please let me know if any more information is needed. Thank you.

2. Sushi'skeeper

Sushi'skeeperValued MemberMember

Keep getting it to go back down. Also, what temperature is the tank? May we see some pictures? You mentioned you gave him a pea, is he bloated?

3. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

The betta might be going though pH stress. Going from 8 to 7.4 causes pH stress to fish.

0 nitrates tell me you're not cycled. Is your tank heavily planted?

4. OP
    OP
    g

gessummersNew MemberMember

Tank is at 78 F. I can get pictures posted tomorrow. He looked slightly bloated- he went after the pea right away when I gave it to him, but won't even bother with the pellets or blood worms.

5. Sushi'skeeper

As @aquatickeeper said, he could be going through pH stress, but when did you give him the pea?

6. OP
    OP
    g

I think the tank is cycled; maybe I'm not getting an accurate read from my test kit. I wouldn't say heavily planted. I've got two sections of java fern, 3 of dwarf sagittaria, a moss ball, and startings of dwarf baby tears and rotala indica.

Yesterday afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2017
  7. Sushi'skeeper

Maybe he is full? It's probably PH stress, I would keep an eye out on him, don't feed him until tomorrow. Maybe he'll perk up overnight.

8. CaptByMoonlight

CaptByMoonlightNew MemberMember

Not so sure about the ph stress as I've never encountered it. However if his activity level hasn't changed, I don't believe it to be all that serious. Maybe if you have time, pick up some frozen bloodworms and try to tempt him with those? Only if you feel inclined to do so.

Also could you list your water change schedule? (Frequency and percentage)

9. Manoj AroraValued MemberMember

I agree with CaptByMoonlight. If you don't see any change in the activeness of your betta. Then probably he is fine. You said that he immediately ate the pea you gave him but he wouldn't eat pellets. That has happened with me. Sometimes bettas just get tired of the same food every day and they like to eat something different for a change. Have you been feeding him the same pellets since the time you got him? I'd advice you try to feed him something different.
    If you don't see any symptoms then there is no need to worry...

10. OP
    OP
    g

I do a 10% change every week.

I've fed three different foods since I've gotten him, though have been using the current pellet for a while since they were a bit better size than the ones I used before. I'll see about picking up some frozen bloodworms tonight on my way home and see if he'll have a greater interest in those.

11. OP
    OP
    g

Here is a picture in case anyone can recognize something I'm not familiar with.

Thanks for all your help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice