Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Please help!!
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 2.5 gallons
How long has the tank been running? Since December 2018
Does it have a filter? Sort of. Just a small filter that comes with a aqueon 2.5 minI bow. I’m about to transfer him into a well filtered 20 gallon but I want to cure him first.
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 77-78
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) just him

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once a week unless things get ahead of me
How much of the water do you change? Almost 90% due to poor filtration.
What do you use to treat your water? Prime, neutral regulator, and pristine as well as stability. Sometimes acid buffer and alkaline buffer
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? I gravel vac

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No . I was a newbie and did know about the cycle but I didn’t wanna wait. I also got misinformation about “instant cycling” with bacteria in a bottle. (Used stability)
What do you use to test the water? API Master
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia:0.25
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:don’t test due to one fish and weekly water changes
pH:7.8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Every night
How much do you feed your fish? About 5 bloodworms/5 pellets
What brand of food do you feed your fish? HikarI freeze dried blood worms, northfin sinking betta bits, and tetramin tropical granules.
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
Yes bloodworms freeze dried
Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?about 8.5 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? About 11 days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Ich, 2 dots one on his head and one on his fin
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Yes Paraguard
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? No, and appearance is waaaay more colorful and bright. His fins grew a lot as well.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

Ok so 2 Saturday’s ago (11days) I noticed a little white dot on his head and identified it as ich/ick. So I treated him with Paraguard (1.25 mL/2.5 gallons) everyday. I thought it worked because after four days the dot fell off and no more came back, except for that one. It came back again even thought the malachite green in the Paraguard should kill the parasites when they are free swimming! I had been dosing for about 8 days by then, or something like that. Why would it comeback in the same spot and no where else? Also two days ago I noticed another one on one of the analfins or whatever they’re called. I am going to try general cure because I’ve heard it’s safe for Bettas. If anyone has any experience or helpful ideas please please help. As soon as he is cured I will transfer him to the big 20 gallon. Also how do I know when he is cured of the parasite versus the natural life cycle where they fall off and become free swimming?

Thanks!!

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd raise your temp to about 86 degrees for a few days and do a good gravel vac and see if that helps. The higher temp should cause them to fall off and go into the gravel.

EDIT: Can you post a photo. 11 days having it with only a couple dots make me wonder if its really ich or something else

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
e_watson09 said:
I'd raise your temp to about 86 degrees for a few days and do a good gravel vac and see if that helps. The higher temp should cause them to fall off and go into the gravel.

EDIT: Can you post a photo. 11 days having it with only a couple dots make me wonder if its really ich or something else
Ok I’ll post a photo. The temp can’t change. I have a small unadjustable heater.... is that bad?? Also is general cure ok for Bettas?

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Having the ability to adjust temp is pretty important but not the end of the world. I guess no heater is worst

Being able to raise the temp can help fight off some issues and then different fish have different requirements. With that being said I do have a couple unadjustable ones as well, they were cheap and get the job done. If I need to adjust I use a different heater from another tank

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
e_watson09 said:
Having the ability to adjust temp is pretty important but not the end of the world. I guess no heater is worst

Being able to raise the temp can help fight off some issues and then different fish have different requirements. With that being said I do have a couple unadjustable ones as well, they were cheap and get the job done. If I need to adjust I use a different heater from another tank
Ok. Thanks! I just finished a water change, and I put the all the medicine I took out back in the tank. It was never blue before, but now the water is blue.... this doesn’t make any sense

I have to take the water out and replace it again ugh

Unfortunately I couldn’t get any pics because when I scooped him out of the tank with the net, the net pulled the dots off. But I looks exactly like the pics of ich online

It’s hard to see, but there is a little grayish spot where the dot used to be

I circled it in this pic

Attachments

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator