Betta With Hole In The Head?

Kiki

Hello! I have a betta that has needle like looking holes in its head. But other than the holes it doesn’t have any other symptoms. It has a pretty good appetite and swims around actively.

So far I have been using API general cure for a week while doing a 50% water change every other day. I also constantly monitor to make sure there is no ammonia or nitrates in the water. But the holes in the head does not seem to have gotten any better. I’m beginning to think that it might not be hole in the head disease? Any information as to what these holes are and how to treat it would be very helpful.
View media item 241423View media item 241422

Attachments

• EF4E61B4-2D24-47A8-AAF9-14315CF108B1.jpeg
    EF4E61B4-2D24-47A8-AAF9-14315CF108B1.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 131
  • E0310266-E207-4C00-9B72-22CF1CAE4290.jpeg
    E0310266-E207-4C00-9B72-22CF1CAE4290.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 846A4488-A1EB-4BD1-A74D-9A7697D6349D.jpeg
    846A4488-A1EB-4BD1-A74D-9A7697D6349D.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 490

Buganjimo

So, for the general cure you’re not supposed to change the water for the whole treatment (5 days I think?). Granted, if your parameters go awal and ammonia starts building up you can change the water, but in a tank by himself (I assume he doesn’t have any tank mates if he’s sick) the ammonia shouldn’t build up that much if you have an adequate filter. Did you take the carbon out? That’ll remove the medication from the tank. It looks like hith so I’d try general cure without the waterchanges for now. You could try a more aggressive medicine but you already have this on hand so it should be fine.

Kiki

So, for the general cure you’re not supposed to change the water for the whole treatment (5 days I think?). Granted, if your parameters go awal and ammonia starts building up you can change the water, but in a tank by himself (I assume he doesn’t have any tank mates if he’s sick) the ammonia shouldn’t build up that much if you have an adequate filter. Did you take the carbon out? That’ll remove the medication from the tank. It looks like hith so I’d try general cure without the waterchanges for now. You could try a more aggressive medicine but you already have this on hand so it should be fine.

Thank you Buganjimo!
The tank is a 1 gallon Marina Cube with no filter. The directions for the General Cure is specifically for 10 gallon tanks but I did the calculations and figured out the ratio for my 1 gallon. I'm not sure if this makes any difference. But I will do as you suggest and do less water changes. Thanks again for your help!

California L33

Monitor his water carefully- a one gallon tank without filtration isn't ideal for a Betta. He'd do far better in a 3 or larger with a sponge filter. Water parameters change so quickly in small and unfiltered tanks that the occupants become more prone to disease.

Does he have a heater?

Kiki

Monitor his water carefully- a one gallon tank without filtration isn't ideal for a Betta. He'd do far better in a 3 or larger with a sponge filter. Water parameters change so quickly in small and unfiltered tanks that the occupants become more prone to disease.

Does he have a heater?

I see. I will try to make better tank arrangements for my betta. For now I will continue to monitor it daily.

It does have a small 10w heater

P.S.
Thank you for your help and feedback!

Heathen

Hello.

I just wanted to say that this betta does not have HITH Those are sensory pits-every betta has them there.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dippiedee
Replies
Views
YesseGriffen
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views