Betta With Hexamita

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Notivation, Apr 24, 2018.

1. NotivationValued MemberMember

Hey all,

Not really a 9-1-1 at this point since he's still eating and active, but my beloved boy, Bill the Betta got hexamita with the poc mark looking things right behind his mouth. API General Cure is coming in tomorrow. The reason I post is just to see what others' experiences are with hexamita and see how they recovered. As of now, Bill is still actively eating, but has stopped eating freeze dried blood worms. He now will only eat Omega One pellets. He doesn't close his mouth all the way, presumably because there is inflammation. He yawns more and shoots bubbles out of his gills. He doesn't seem terribly bloated, just has a full belly, so I'm not sure if that's why he's shooting bubbles or not. I've read mixed information on why they do this. My questions to those with experience with hole in the head:
    1. How long did it take to clear up with meds?
    2. Do the holes in the head actually heal, or is it permanent?
    Now, before I get bashed for over feeding and having terrible water quality, hear me out. It's a nano tank with plants, and I've been trying to save this radican sword I have and maybe overdid it with roots tabs or fertilizer. In addition, my tap water is 7.6-7.8 pH, and I know that's high for bettas, so I was actually going to change the substrate out for stratum later this week before this development. I think the slight water parameter issues over long periods of time combined with underfeeding may have caused this issue. Everyone is always talking about the dangers of overfeeding, so I think I may have overdone it on the other end of the spectrum by giving him have 4-6 pellets a day with 1-2 days off a week.

Thank you in advance.

2. Lissi KatValued MemberMember

Hey there!
    I've only dealt with hole in the head once. It was in a discus that I would estimate to have had at least 2 prior owners that I know of and his case was already pretty desperate by the time I got him. I treated him for hex and internal worms and parasites in general.but his condition continued to deteriorate I managed to maintain him for about 6 months but it wasn't pretty, now there's a big leap between a betta and a discus who was a notoriously picky eater also. Just know that hex isn't the only reason hith or lateral line erosion can develop. It's usually one thing or another that leads to a nutrient defincency in the fish and so the holes develop. Depending on the severity of the pitting it can be permanent.its good that you've caught it early so I'd say give him the treatment and some extra tlc and try to get some meat back on those fish bones! My betta is a little piggy who'd eat all day long if I let him but there's 4 BNP Fry and a bamboo shrimp in there with him who clean up any left overs and quite a few plants so I never have any water quality issues.i use that tank to grow out swords and recently pulled a 50cm red chameleon that was only in there 10 weeks or so,so the extra food is clearly doing something good. Personally I feed until my water quality suffers and depending on whats growing in there you can feed alot without anything suffering.i should add fast growing plants use more nitrate than slower ones.if in doubt throw in some salvinia they gobble nitrate and an extra bonus is bettas like hanging out under them!

3. NotivationValued MemberMember

Hey! Awe man, sorry to hear about that discus. In theory, the meds are supposed to arrive today. I just hope he can get better. I'll definitely be feeding him a lot more. I have pennywort in there right now and a radican sword. Both are giving me issues in terms of deficiencies, which is why I think my quality went kapoot. As of now, I really just dose Iron in there.

4. Lissi KatValued MemberMember

Awe that's ok it's been a while now and I know I did my best and it wasn't me who got him into that state so I don't feel as bad!still always a shame looking such a majestic fish! I really hope the meds work for you and the extra food should help too. Would he eat any vitamin enriched frozen foods?that might be a way to go and also garlic enhances a fishes appetite so you could try adding some garlic guard I think seachem make it. I always add lots of fresh garlic into my homemade foods.on the topic of plant ferts like easy life profito it seems to have most of the micronutrients in it.
    I'll add some pics just to give you an idea of how severe my case was...and this isn't how it looked in the end. 20180425_131501.jpg

5. NotivationValued MemberMember

Oh wow. Yeah, I don't get that fancy with foods. The only thing he really accepts is Omega One betta buffet pellets. Must I get different foods?

6. Lissi KatValued MemberMember

You don't have to get fancy with food at all I just personally enjoy fixing up foods I think my fish will like and that are healthy. Probably not a reasonable thing to do for 1 tiny fish 1 batch would last him for life haha! I would try and get a tiny bit more variety into him just to try and hit every base after all variety is the spice of life.

7. NotivationValued MemberMember

True, maybe Ishould do something like that for my fish

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice