Betta With Gourami In Community Tank?

EmilyClick28

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i have a 29gal tank I’m starting up. I want to eventually stock it with 1 Opaline Gourami and a few Angelfish. First, I was wondering how many Angelfish I can stock? Also, I already have 1 male Betta and 2 neon tetras in a 5gal tank. I was planning on selling the 5gal, and using my Betta and tetras to cycle the new tank, since they’re all pretty hardy. Then I’d just keep them all in the community tank. My question is, is it possible to have a male Betta in a 29gal with an Opaline Gourami? I know Gourami are also surface dwellers and can be aggressive to their own kind, but maybe since the tank is big enough they wouldn’t bother each other? This particular Betta is extremely docile and peaceful, I’ve had him for years and he lives with tetras. If you think this is a bad idea please let me know! I don’t want any fish killing each other

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have a Plan B.

My Dwarf Gourami (supposedly the most peaceful Gourami) is incompatible with absolutely anything with flashy colors or flowing fins.

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
NOOOOOOO, please don't ever do a gourami and a Betta sp. They are from the same family and will fight to the death!

Alex Pasquale

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Listen, Gouramis are peaceful creatures, I've talked to plenty of people that have had both Bettas and Gouramis inside their tanks, you will be fine. If it doesn't end up working out it won't be from the Gourami, it will be from the Betta and just separate them again that's all or use some sort of dither fish.

Wobbegong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you want to mix them a 29 gallon tank would be too small, 55 gallons is better. I have my opaline gourami in my 60 gallon and she does not bother any of the other fish, however none of the other fish are anabantoids.

Alex Pasquale

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wo️️egong said:
If you want to mix them a 29 gallon tank would be too small, 55 gallons is better. I have my opaline gourami in my 60 gallon and she does not bother any of the other fish, however none of the other fish are anabantoids.
A 55 Gallon for only a few fish?! No there is no need for that, that's just overdoing it. If he wants to stop fighting among fish there just needs to be multiple decorations (Plenty of hiding spots) and plants so they can feel comfortable and less stressed.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not every Betta is territorial, and not every Gourami is peaceful. It might work, it might not. Its going to depend on the individual fish. And putting Angels in a 29gal depresses me, but people do worse.

Alex Pasquale

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mick Frost said:
Not every Betta is territorial, and not every Gourami is peaceful. It might work, it might not. Its going to depend on the individual fish. And putting Angels in a 29gal depresses me, but people do worse.
Depends on how many fish he has in there total as well. It depends on a number of factors, but as I said MOST gouramis are very peaceful animals. If he has plenty of plants in there and decorations so the fish can hide, he will be fine.

EmilyClick28

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Alex Pasquale said:
A 55 Gallon for only a few fish?! No there is no need for that, that's just overdoing it. If he wants to stop fighting among fish there just needs to be multiple decorations (Plenty of hiding spots) and plants so they can feel comfortable and less stressed.
Lol I agree with you... it seems like no matter what tank size I have it’s always “too small”. I’m not planning to upgrade the tank size, I just got this one lol.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I think I’ll keep the 5gal tank, and if they don’t get a long I’ll move the Betta back to it.

Alex Pasquale

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
EmilyClick28 said:
Lol I agree with you... it seems like no matter what tank size I have it’s always “too small”. I’m not planning to upgrade the tank size, I just got this one lol.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I think I’ll keep the 5gal tank, and if they don’t get a long I’ll move the Betta back to it.
Yeah exactly, no matter what size tank you have people will always tell you that you are overstocked. Put it this way I have 5 tanks right now, and if I told everyone what was in them, they would have a heart-attack ****. But I know what I'm doing with my filtration, water changes, plants, etc. I know my tanks, and as long as your gut tells you "hey you're fine" usually you're fine.

Wobbegong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Its not just the amount of water but the length of the tank, a 48 inch tank will give the fish more room to escape another fish.

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Alex Pasquale said:
Yeah exactly, no matter what size tank you have people will always tell you that you are overstocked. Put it this way I have 5 tanks right now, and if I told everyone what was in them, they would have a heart-attack ****. But I know what I'm doing with my filtration, water changes, plants, etc. I know my tanks, and as long as your gut tells you "hey you're fine" usually you're fine.
No, its never like that if you don't have agressive fish together

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
there is a slight issue though....neon tetras like cooler water then bettas

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the larger the tank you have then the less aggression there will be because of how much space there will be for them and will make it easier to divert aggression. if you put two fish who are generally aggressive to fish in the same family like gouramis and bettas are then you will have a high chance of aggression going on. the aggression could come from either the betta or gourami depending on their personality. i would keep the 5g for the betta in case something goes wrong if you really want to keep the gourami and betta together

EmilyClick28

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
JamieXPXP said:
there is a slight issue though....neon tetras like cooler water then bettas
Yes, I know and unfortunately my heater recently broke so the water is pretty cold. I’ve been having to pour cups of warm water in the tank. I did just get a new heater so I’ll try to get the water temp to overlap as much as possible so they’re both happy. Thanks!

Yeah, I’ll be sure to put in a lot of decorations for them to hide in. Thanks for the tips!

Oh one other question everyone, how long should I cycle the tank for before adding more fish? I’ve heard conflicting information... some people say 3 weeks and some say 8

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
EmilyClick28 said:
Oh one other question everyone, how long should I cycle the tank for before adding more fish? I’ve heard conflicting information... some people say 3 weeks and some say 8
If you dont mind a visible biobloom, you can add fish as soon as it stabilizes. The main issue is adding too many fish at once. If you have 4, and add 4 more, youll have visible biobloom. If you add 4 more before your bacterial colony catches up, you risk crashing.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom