Betta with fungus

1. Lily12 Initiate Member

Yes I am another one of those inexperienced fishkeepers with a sick betta!
    I have a ten gallon tank which my betta has been in for 18 months and a bristlenose pleco which has been in there maybe 4 months. I have been told this tank is too small for the bristlenose but at the moment he is under 3cm and i plan to upgrade later, I understand there is also the issue of their waste but with filtering, a 25% change each week and many plants the water quality has been fine for now.

I have noticed a small white fuzzy ball shape on the end of part of my bettas fins which I assume is a fungus.

[​IMG]

In my emotional panic I went straight to the only fish shop open and grabbed pimafix and added it to the tank. I have since read of concerns about pimafix a, not always working for some people and b, containing clove oil in an unknown amount which could kill the fish if too much builds up.
    I have also read about adding salts now. Unfortunately I own aquarium salts and had stopped adding them as I thought they were unnecessary.

I am now wondering should I continue using pimafix as it may help my fish but just do another water change sooner to ensure clove oil cannot build up. If the only issue with this medication is this and not always working I can't see how this could hurt. (it says to use for 7 days before water change and I have used it yesterday and today so I am planning a 25% water change tommoro before adding more)

OR

Should I stop using pimafix full stop and try to treat the condition with salt or otherwise?

OR could i use pimafix as mentioned above aswell as salt to increase the likelyhood of curing my fish.

Note: I believe there are some possible sharp edges on one piece of driftwood which may be the cause, I also try very hard to keep on top of it but one of my plants bought just continues to grow new bits and then drop them (the leaf the new bits were on dies and drops off original plant) so I am often retrieving decaying leaves from the tank). I dont know much about plants but this particular plant has gone from one to at least ten plants in about 6 months.

The fungus is really small and has not spread on him at all yet so I am hoping with the right treatment It can be fixed quickly! I look at him every day when I feed him so it has only just developed.
    Thanks for your help fish veterans!

edit that is not fungus on his gills/upperbody aswell just the light and cameraflash

2. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

I would be doing 50% water changes a week.. especially with a pleco in there..10g is way too small. But you say you plan on upgrading. Do it asap lol
    Honestly, everything ive dealt with so far has been cured with water changes, so thats all I can recommend. As for Pimafix, ive been told not to use it with bettas because of their Labyrinth. So I would not dose again.
    As for salt..im not quite a believer on it, though i never use it. Its too much of a dabatable product on whether it actually benefits fish. I dont see it worth the risk.
    Just frequent water changes. Nothing beats fresh clean water :)
    Keep us updated on what you choose to do and how it turns out. I'll be following :) TexasDomer Aquaphobia Flowingfins

3. cheese Member Member

honestly, I'd be doing 50% water changes daily until his fungus clears up. I also wouldn't use salt or medicine, just speaking from experience and some advice I've gotten on here that helped me cure my betta :) best of luck!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Agreed with cheese

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would treat that. Looks like a fungal infection to me too, possible secondary to a bacterial infection or wound.

Stop Pimafix - if Pimafix/Melafix treats it, clean water will too. If clean water won't, you need something stronger than Pimafix/Melafix.
    DoubleDutch - treat for the fungal infection, or for the possible underlying infection, or both?

6. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Not sure about :-(.
    Does it have fungus around the gill as well or is it the pic.
    I'd keep the water pristine.

I believe one should be careful with bettas / gouramis and Melafix / pimafix.
    I am not a Betta-knower though.

7. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

OP says its just the picture flash

8. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Ok, sorry I overread.

9. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Just clean water. For some reason my only CT got those too when he had fungus shortly after I got him. They look like little white balls at the ends of the filaments. I've only ever seen fin rot look like that on a CT:;dk

But agree with Peacefantasty, larger water changes each week should do it. At least 50% and I might do them twice a week for at least the next couple of weeks. Once a week for maintenance. And yeah, get that pleco out of there. She may be small, but she's an Olympic-calibre poo-machine;)

10. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Agree with the others.
    If my research is correct, the reason pimafix/melafix/bettafix shouldn't be used with labyrinth fish is because the melaleuca oil causes their labyrinth organ(which is their main source of air) to stop working (I think it swells, not 100% sure though) and thus, suffocate the fish.
    I don't agree with salt in any freshwater fish unless it is an extreme case and you have no other options. His is no where near that stage though.
    I have seen the little white balls on my CT too, I think they are more susceptible to it. Clean water should clear it up, no medicines or salt.
    Since your tank is so overstocked, I would be doing much larger water changes weekly. I would be doing 25% every other day until his fungus/rot clears up as well.

11. Lily12 Initiate Member

Thanks for your help everyone.
    Today it has spread slightly, but by that i mean a couple of millimeters up the same part of his fin. I did a fifty percent water change today and there will be no more pimafix. he only sits on the bottom under plants when the filter is on as soon as I turn it off he comes up for food and he still comes up to the glass when he sees something etc so I assume at this early stage i should keep going with a 25% water change a day here on in and see if he improves?

12. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Why do you turn off the filter?
    I agree with Cheese's advice of daily 50% water changes until it goes away

13. Lily12 Initiate Member

I turn off the filter to feed my betta otherwise the food just gets pushed out to the edge and he misses it. I'm not sure of the name of the type but I have an old school aqua one where the filter water falls back into the tank from the top so it creates a fair bit of movement on the surface.

14. Lily12 Initiate Member

It has spread a tiny bit onto other fins:( does anyone know of any medications that actually work or should i be waiting a couple more days to see if it improves with water changes. Again its only on the fins but I would love to stop it before it is all over his body like some cases I have seen, I can't imagine that would be fun for him

15. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

How often are you doing the water changes and how large are they? How long have you been doing the increased water changes? I wouldn't add any meds at this point as that will only stress him further. Water changes can take a few days to show improvement.

16. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Im just curious.. is the pleco still in the tank?

17. Lily12 Initiate Member

pleco is still in the tank, I don't have a quarantine tank. have looked him over thoroughly with a torch he is showing no signs of the same thing

18. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Im asking because a pleco's bioload is so heavy, it probably has something to do with it

19. Lily12 Initiate Member

Yep, going to do even bigger/ more frequent water changes now on advice. And looks like the new tank will need to come sooner.

After looking at him under strong light again I am now thinking that his fins are not quite looking their normal as well :( eg finrot. He was a very scraggly fish from day one so it's hard to tell, nothing like some of the neat bettas I have seen around. But I think there is a little bit of deterioration of fins as well:( This is only his second day of water changes thought as i noticed it only a couple of days ago and at first i tried pimafix for one day, so i guess I will need to wait a couple of days to see if he improves with the water changes. I will get a new picture tommoro I just did the water change for today and he is always shy after water changes. I try to stay completely away from him with the gravel syphon but obviously its enough to stress him out. hopefully all the water changes aren't stressing him because of the process and are working in my favour not against me.

20. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

I have a betta in a 10g and one in a 5g and do 50% water changes. I take them out and put them in their betta cups they came in.
    The way I see it is theyre going to be stressed either way. But they are familiar with their cups and dont have to deal with their environment being disrupted.
    Others may have different ways of doing it, but with such little tanks, its just what works for me and my fish.

When do you think youll be able to get your bigger tank? And do you know what size youll be getting?