Betta with frayed fin.. possible fin rot?

1. j

jlallard Valued Member Member

Please help!! This is my first betta and I have no idea what to do!!!! His fins are looking frayed and at first I thought he had just caught his fin on something but it's getting worse. The closest store is about an hour away so I don't want to go all the way out there unless I absolutely have to. He's still acting perfectly normal. Showing off in the front of the tank and swimming through the bubbles playing. Any help would be awesome! Thanks guys!

2. lala29

lala29 Well Known Member Member

Can we have a picture of him?

If he has caught it on something then it will look like a split or a tear, if its fin rot it may be white around the edges and will look worn down.

3. OP
    OP
    j

I can see if I can get one. Unfortunately my camera isn't great quality but let me see what I can do

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    j

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406998492.457882.jpg .
    There we go!! Not the best quality but its the best I could get

5. lala29

Did he have any tank mates? Or does he have any now?

Hard to see but it doesn't look as though its been torn... Maybe its been caught in the filter?

6. OP
    OP
    j

Nope, he's all by himself in what was supposed to be my quarantine tank and has been since I bought him. But I noticed the other day that in the middle of his tail a section was missing and it looked like it had caught and pulled so I checked for sharp things and there was nothing I could find so I've been keeping an eye on it and noticed today that his tail almost looks like its shrinking and getting stringy on the ends

7. lala29

That does sound a lot like fin rot IMO. If he couldn't of had it ripped or torn then it must be!

I would start treatment for fin rot and see if it improves. Plenty of water changes also. Hope he gets better soon!

8. OP
    OP
    j

Thanks! What could I use to treat his fin rot? I don't have any betta medications or anything and I'm not sure when I'd be able to get out to the store to get any. The closest place to me is nearly an hour away. I do have paraguard and stress coat, would either of those be okay to use on him or no??

9. OP
    OP
    j

Thanks! What could I use to treat his fin rot? I don't have any betta medications or anything and I'm not sure when I'd be able to get out to the store to get any. The closest place to me is nearly an hour away. I do have paraguard and stress coat, would either of those be okay to use on him or no??

10. poeticinjustices

poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Paraguard will work.

However, let's start with the basics.

What are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and temp. If there's any issues with any of these readings, well, there's your causative agent for fin rot. And fixing them will most likely cure it. Clean water, good diet, patience :)

11. hollie1505

hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

+1 Pristine water is the best medicine :)

12. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Fin rot does not require medication unless it is severe and approaching the body of the fish.

Test your water for the parameters that poeticinjustices mentioned. Let us know what they are and your water change schedule. Fin rot in bettas is almost always caused by poor water conditions and can be fixed with clean water.

13. lala29

you dont need to medicate unless its severe, which is why i said water changes :) if the fin starts to reach the body that's when you medicate :)