Betta With Finrot Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Nathan_betta3010, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Nathan_betta3010

Nathan_betta3010 Valued Member Member

My betta fish is in a cycled 10 gallon planted tank by himself. Even though the tank is cycled he still somehow got fin rot. I don’t know what to do if there is nothing I can really fix since the water parameters are good:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: <5

Temp: 77 F

Do I just continue normal weekly water changes? Or should I do something else?

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

There’s no preventative by keeping the tank cycled, it’s the water quality that affects everything.
    Daily water changes will cure him, along with a future plan of good maintenance.

3. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Keeping the water cycled is a preventative, it just doesn't always work. Uncycled tanks are huge stressors to fish, and keeping it cycled lowers the stress. Lower stress means less disease. Sometimes finrot can be cured with daily 50% water changes, but once it has set in, that's really not always the case. Try the water changes for a few days, but if there's no sign of improvement (which would be reduction in the discolored area or new fin growth which would be transluscent) then you'll want to take a look at a few medications. I'd recommend either Methylene blue as a dip or bath in a separate container as it will kill your BB, or you could use kanaplex, which is safe for the BB. Salt dips with aquarium salt have also been widely used, but there is debate over just how salt tolerant bettas are.

4. FishGirl38

FishGirl38 Valued Member Member

For Finrot on a betta, there are more natural, less invasive medications you can use that may work. Methylene blue and kanaplex are really strong medications, wouldn't pimafix/melafix/bettafix work just as well? These are 'all natural' medications. One is from bay leaves, the other is from tea tree oil. That won't completely kill the BB.

And a cycled tank, I mean....Its a preventitive in that It's safer for fish than a non-cycled tank is (by a long shot)...but a cycled tank will not prevent illness. It does make illness less-likely, but it doesn't 'prevent' sickness. And finrot can be remedied by scheduled water changes if it's not bad enough. But otherwise, I use pima and mela as an initial treatment for most of my bacterial/fungal needs. (one helps bacterial, the other helps with fungal, not sure which does which. Bettafix is basically the same thing but specifically modified for bettas.

5. Rtessy

Absolutely not! Pimafix, melafix, and even bettafix should never be used with a betta. They contain tea tree oil, which coats any labrynth fish's labyrinth organ and can suffocate them. Bettafix has and can kill bettas, and melafix and pimafix do as well. A cycled tank doesn't prevent all illnesses, I wasn't trying to imply that. A cycled tank simply reduces stress, and fish are open to illnesses when stressed. There are lots of stressors that can occur in cycled tanks, anything from minor vibrations to temperature swings. Mela does bacterial, Pima does fungal, but neither should be used with bettas, gouramis, or any other labyrinth fish. The risk of death is too high.
    Edit: there are some natural alternatives, but if the finrot is past the very minor stage, they won't do much. Indian almond leaves have antibacterial and antifungal properties if you wanted to try those coupled with water changes first.

6. FishGirl38

FishGirl38 Valued Member Member

Oh wow, I'm sorry and obviously didn't know that! Oops

Still...Aren't Kanaplex and Methylene blue used for parasitic infections? Same with salt dips? I've just never heard of that for fin rot?

Again, excuse my ignorance, I'm thankful you've educated me.

Edit: what is bettafix then? o.o

7. Rtessy

No problem, it's ridiculous that API doesn't have to state it on the label! Definitely not your fault! And bettafix is really just a watered down version of the two of them, but watered down toxin is still dangerous, especially to fish that are already sick.
    Huh, I'd never heard of kanaplex or M. Blue being used for parasitic infections, interesting. I can see how M. Blue is used that way though. Generally, it's used to get rid or fungus or prevent fungus on eggs, and since eggs are pretty sensitive, using it as a bath with 1-1 1/2 tsp per gallon is relatively gentle. Kanaplex is used to treat gram negative bacteria in most cases, and often the root of finrot is bacterial. If kanaplex fails, erythromycin treats gram positive bacteria, but will ruin the biological filtration. Kanaplex is good as a first treatment, then M Blue for residual fungus or other stuff hanging on. I have heard from a lot of people that kanaplex is very harsh, but I've used it on bettas, goldfish, shrimp, and snails and I haven't had anyone die or even act weird during or after.
    I definitely don't blame you for not knowing about the Pima and mela, especially because there is a bettafix version. It should be advertised on the bottle, "not safe for labyrinth fish, such as bettas and gouramis" just as some medications state that they are not invertebrate safe.
    I will say they are good medications to start treating with for other fish, as they are very gentle.

8. OP
    OP
    Nathan_betta3010

Nathan_betta3010 Valued Member Member

The source of stress may be the strong current the filter produces. I’ve been meaning to fix it.

9. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

I use moss balls to slow down the filter current if that helps at all. Just perform some daily water changes and possibly an addition of Seachem Stress Guard. If it continues to worsen within a week or more, I would suggest using a medication like API Fungus Cure.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice