Betta with Fin Rot

jennivester

New Member
Member
Messages
15
Reaction score
3
Location
Augusta, GA
Experience
Just started
How often should I change the water and/or add aquarium salt? My water chemistry is perfect, and my betta doesn't seem stressed. HELP, his fins are in bad shape!!!
t
 

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
12,145
Reaction score
11,937
Location
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
jennivester said:
How often should I change the water and/or add aquarium salt? My water chemistry is perfect, and my betta doesn't seem stressed. HELP, his fins are in bad shape!!!
t
I wouldn't be adding salt. If you have already added some I would do several water changes over the next few days to get what salt you have added out of there. I added other suggestions to your other thread. :)
 

Sauceboat

Active Member
Member
Messages
66
Reaction score
67
I would do small water changes every day or every other day. Don’t change the water more than 50% every other day or 25% every day so you don’t stress out the environment and the fish. You can use aquarium salt too. But if his finrot is looking pretty severe I would recommend medicating it. I used API Bettafix with my betta and it cleared him right up. However, some bettas are really sensitive to that stuff so if you choose to use it watch your betta carfully and gradually increase the dosage. For my betta I started with 1/8 of the dosage for the tank, mixed in with the water change water for two days, then I moved up to 1/4 of the dosage for two days, then I moved it to 1/2 of the recommended dosage for 2 weeks. After about a week and a half there was already some regrowth on the fins. Also, when I was medicating my betta I followed the instruction and only did a water change once a week and removed the live plants as well as the activated carbon in the filter. Best of luck :)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
J

jennivester

New Member
Member
Messages
15
Reaction score
3
Location
Augusta, GA
Experience
Just started
Sauceboat said:
I would do small water changes every day or every other day. Don’t change the water more than 50% every other day or 25% every day so you don’t stress out the environment and the fish. You can use aquarium salt too. But if his finrot is looking pretty severe I would recommend medicating it. I used API Bettafix with my betta and it cleared him right up. However, some bettas are really sensitive to that stuff so if you choose to use it watch your betta carfully and gradually increase the dosage. For my betta I started with 1/8 of the dosage for the tank, mixed in with the water change water for two days, then I moved up to 1/4 of the dosage for two days, then I moved it to 1/2 of the recommended dosage for 2 weeks. After about a week and a half there was already some regrowth on the fins. Also, when I was medicating my betta I followed the instruction and only did a water change once a week and removed the live plants as well as the activated carbon in the filter. Best of luck :)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
J

jennivester

New Member
Member
Messages
15
Reaction score
3
Location
Augusta, GA
Experience
Just started
I am so confused. Two of the biggest youtube channel fish guys said to use the salt water :( I don't understand the water changes if my parameters are good. Good thing I kept his 5 gallon going. I'll move him back to change the salt water out. Thanks so much.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
J

jennivester

New Member
Member
Messages
15
Reaction score
3
Location
Augusta, GA
Experience
Just started
Thanks, Betta Fix isn't available in my area. And, to my understanding is an "natural remedy" He needs help faster than than, plus, my water is good. I'm afraid increased water changes will stress him out, which can also cause fin rot, or so I have read.
 

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
12,145
Reaction score
11,937
Location
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
jennivester said:
I am so confused. Two of the biggest youtube channel fish guys said to use the salt water :( I don't understand the water changes if my parameters are good. Good thing I kept his 5 gallon going. I'll move him back to change the salt water out. Thanks so much.
Sometimes a bit of salt can help in some cases but it can also irritate the little guy. If his fins are already fragile I think the salt could cause even more irritation. Think about how much salt in a wound burns.

There are things that build up in our tanks that we don't test for. that is the reason I have become a firm believer in water changes no matter what I am seeing in the test tubes. I change out 50% of the water in my 55 every week and once a month I change out even more although the numbers tell me all is well. My smaller tanks get even more changed out every week. All are fully cycled so naturally there is never any ammonia or nitrites. The water changes keep my nitrates low and also remove and prevent a build up of the minerals present on our tap water.

How often are you doing water changes? How much do you normally change?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
J

jennivester

New Member
Member
Messages
15
Reaction score
3
Location
Augusta, GA
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
Sometimes a bit of salt can help in some cases but it can also irritate the little guy. If his fins are already fragile I think the salt could cause even more irritation. Think about how much salt in a wound burns.

There are things that build up in our tanks that we don't test for. that is the reason I have become a firm believer in water changes no matter what I am seeing in the test tubes. I change out 50% of the water in my 55 every week and once a month I change out even more although the numbers tell me all is well. My smaller tanks get even more changed out every week. All are fully cycled so naturally there is never any ammonia or nitrites. The water changes keep my nitrates low and also remove and prevent a build up of the minerals present on our tap water.

How often are you doing water changes? How much do you normally change?
I do a 20 percent change every week for 3 weeks, and a 50% change once a month. I did a 50% change this past Friday. I use spring water, but I do condition it with Betta Safe and Easy Balance. I am also very meticulous in having the water the same temperature when I add the new water. He isn't acting any different, his fins just look really bad and scraggly...but they are not discolored.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
J

jennivester

New Member
Member
Messages
15
Reaction score
3
Location
Augusta, GA
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
Sometimes a bit of salt can help in some cases but it can also irritate the little guy. If his fins are already fragile I think the salt could cause even more irritation. Think about how much salt in a wound burns.

There are things that build up in our tanks that we don't test for. that is the reason I have become a firm believer in water changes no matter what I am seeing in the test tubes. I change out 50% of the water in my 55 every week and once a month I change out even more although the numbers tell me all is well. My smaller tanks get even more changed out every week. All are fully cycled so naturally there is never any ammonia or nitrites. The water changes keep my nitrates low and also remove and prevent a build up of the minerals present on our tap water.

How often are you doing water changes? How much do you normally change?
I've never used tap water. Only spring water or purified water.
 

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
12,145
Reaction score
11,937
Location
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Your water change schedule sound good.

I just googled Easy Balance and betta safe. This is what it tells me:

What is easy balance?
This easy-to-use formula regulates pH and alkalinity and reduces nitrates and phosphates. At the same time, EasyBalance Plus replenishes essential vitamins, minerals, and electrolytes for maximum aquarium health.
What is BettaSafe?
. BettaSafe™ Water Care is an all-in-one formula that works to keep your aquarium water safe and healthy for your Betta. This easy-to-use conditioner detoxifies harmful ammonia in tap water, neutralizes chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals, and features stress reducing slime.
I am not sure either product is necessary. I would run the PH test on the water you are using for the water changes. If it is already 7 or above I would stop using the easy balance. It is just one more thing that I feel is unnecessary. If you are using bottled spring water then even the Betta safe is unnecessary since there should be no ammonia, chlorine or chloramines in it. I would run all the tests on the water you are using for your water changes. It is always good to have baseline numbers so we know what we are putting in our tanks. Even though I use my tap water and have for years I still run all the tests on it occasionally to note any changes.

I have very soft water almost devoid of any minerals so have to add equilibrium to put the necessary minerals missing from my water. I noticed just last week that the TDS of my tap water had dropped from 21 down to 16 so had to add more equilibrium to get them up to where they needed to be. I wouldn't have known that had I not run the tests.

In my humble opinion the fewer things we add the better it is for our water pets.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
J

jennivester

New Member
Member
Messages
15
Reaction score
3
Location
Augusta, GA
Experience
Just started
Thanks. I was just trying to be ultra safe. I did test the spring water and it is basically the same as the tank. It's difficult for me to read these colors sometimes. I have a 6 gallons of spring water, and my tank is 10. Should I do 50% again? Thank so so much, I do appreciate your advice!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
J

jennivester

New Member
Member
Messages
15
Reaction score
3
Location
Augusta, GA
Experience
Just started
Do I need to add anything to enhance his slime coat? That's why I was adding the betta safe (same thing as Aqua safe), that's what the bottle said anyway.
 

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
12,145
Reaction score
11,937
Location
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
jennivester said:
Thanks. I was just trying to be ultra safe. I did test the spring water and it is basically the same as the tank. It's difficult for me to read these colors sometimes. I have a 6 gallons of spring water, and my tank is 10. Should I do 50% again? Thank so so much, I do appreciate your advice!
If there is any salt in there I would.
jennivester said:
Do I need to add anything to enhance his slime coat? That's why I was adding the betta safe (same thing as Aqua safe), that's what the bottle said anyway.
I wouldn't. i really feel like nothing is necessary. Fish are going to produce all the slime coat they need without us adding something for it. I have to be perfectly honest with you. I feel like these products will say anything just to sell their products and our water pets pay the highest price.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
183
Guests online
2,316
Total visitors
2,499

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom