Betta with fin rot?

1. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

007.jpg

Quick question, my crowntail betta who is in his own 5.5 gallon cycled tank has what appears to be fin rot. His fins have black tips. I noticed last week that one of the rays looked bent, so I thought it might be that he got caught in one of the new live plants I had put in there and I removed it. I put some fish protector in there to help aid in healing and didn't give much thought to it. Today I noticed the black tips and checked my water and ammonia and nitrites are zero. So, I'm a bit confused. What could be causing this? Temp is 79, like I said all water parameters are normal and besides the new live plant, that's the only change.

Thoughts?

(This is the best picture I could get.)

2. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Heater may have burned him.

3. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't think he'd be able to just burn the ends, but it's a thought.

4. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Ouch, that would hurt, but he would probably have more damage if he got burned. I honest;y don't know. He looks active though, and quite healthy. I would just wait and see. Water changes couldn't hurt either. Gorgeous betta, by the way. Where did you get him?

5. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

Walmart! :) I was looking with my son for a rescue and thought to myself "how odd that this container doesn't have a betta in it"....the water was so blue and there was so little of it in there that I thought it was empty. I couldn't pass him up!

6. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

What kind of test kit are you using? The strips are much less accurate than the liquid kinds. Though I doubt it would be so inaccurate as to label a high ammonia reading as zero, but my crowntail's tail started turning black like that, and it was because I unfortunately didn't know anything at the time, and the ammonia was high in the tank, so he suffered from ammonia burns. I believe finrot is usually white or red coloring, but I think I've heard of black too, so I can't comment on that.

7. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I use the api liquid test kit. I also did a 50% water change yesterday, so I'm stumped unless this is bacterial?

8. katu06 Member Member

=/

I'll be honest, I have a similar problem. My plakat boy's bottom fin used to be very straight, but now there are tiny little areas where it seems the fin has little pieces missing on the bottom. His ventral fins also used to have a very noticable white tip on them (he is red/blue/black), but this is now going away. I have NO IDEA what the problem is, his water was 0, 0, <10 and 80 degrees. I moved him from his 5 gallon to a 10 gallon with better filtration, hoping this would do the trick.

He is very happy, healthy, and active otherwise. I'll post an update if I ever figure out what is wrong.

Good luck!