Betta With Dropsy? Please Help Soon!

PraptiPanda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got my Betta 10 months ago from a horribly kept store and he lives in a 12 gallon along with a couple rabbit snails and live plants.
The problem now is - His scales look really protruding and he has difficulty swimming. I'm guessing it's dropsy. How do i treat it? I have no access to fish antibiotics or Epsom salts. I only have aquarium salt and Indian almond leaves. Please help!

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Can you please post a side pic and a picture of a top view? I have some experience with dropsy, but with a goldfish, not a betta, and I only just got started with bettas a month ago. Don't use the aquarium salt, it does not help with dropsy and cannot even make it worse. Also, it's generally not recommended for bettas as they're not very salt tolerant. Go ahead and throw in an Indian almond leaf or two (I don't know the exact dosing, sorry). Also, start doing 50% water changes daily, pristine water will help the immune system.

PraptiPanda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rtessy said:
Can you please post a side pic and a picture of a top view? I have some experience with dropsy, but with a goldfish, not a betta, and I only just got started with bettas a month ago. Don't use the aquarium salt, it does not help with dropsy and cannot even make it worse. Also, it's generally not recommended for bettas as they're not very salt tolerant. Go ahead and throw in an Indian almond leaf or two (I don't know the exact dosing, sorry). Also, start doing 50% water changes daily, pristine water will help the immune system.
I have removed him to a hospital tank now, as he had difficulty getting to the top. Side view is not very clear, but he does not appear bloated.
IMG_20180507_042808_1.jpg

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
PraptiPanda said:
I have removed him to a hospital tank now, as he had difficulty getting to the top. Side view is not very clear, but he does not appear bloated. View attachment 436004
Dropsy is a gram negative bacteria that effects the kidneys of the fish causing it to retain fluid. It swell making the scales stick out often called pine coning. The bacteria can be treated with Maracin. But their are also external baths that the fish will need. They may be some things you sais you don't have access to. If necessary, hit me back after reading about treatment on the following site. You definitely are going to need an antibiotic like Maracin or API E.R. Erythromycin.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It does look like dropsy, not as late as I've seen it but not early either . 100% not your fault, it moves like wildfire and it really sucks because it can happen in the best of water quality. How big is the hospital tank? If it's under a gallon, it's going to need water changes every few hours. I'd try and get something at least a gallon. And are those live or fake plants (good either way, just curious). And I know the restrictions on such medications are pretty severe in India, I'm sorry you don't have much access. I didn't know epsom salt was restricted as well, I'll keep that in mind.
finnipper59 said:
Dropsy is a gram negative bacteria that effects the kidneys of the fish causing it to retain fluid. It swell making the scales stick out often called pine coning. The bacteria can be treated with Maracin. But their are also external baths that the fish will need. They may be some things you sais you don't have access to. If necessary, hit me back after reading about treatment on the following site. You definitely are going to need an antibiotic like Maracin or API E.R. Erythromycin.
Medications are extremely helpful, I've had luck with kanaplex, but do you have an alternative since OP can't get any? Dang, I don't think I'll be able to find it since it was a long time ago, but I remember this other thread and this one person needed medication that was restricted in India but someone on here knew a different brand for human consumption or something and was able to help the person access it... unfortunately I think it was for a fungal issue but maybe someone will know a good alternative.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Without an antibiotic, I don't think you're going to cure the infection. What I had in mind has more of an external diuretic effect to help get some of the swelling down. It may do no good without antibiotics, but it's a salt bath. Take 1 gallon of dechlorinated water (from the tank if possible) and mix exactly 1 tbsp of aquarium salt. I recommend a whole gallon because it's easier to get the dosage right. Put some water in a plastic bag once the salt is completely disolved with the betta and float in tank exactly 5 minutes. Then open the bag and slowly start adding tank water to the bag until you have as much tank water as equal to the water that was in the bag. Take the fish out of the bag and put back in tank. Dispose of bag water and fill tank back up with fresh dechlorinated water. Do this twice a day to try to draw excess water out of fishe's cells.
Rtessy said:
It does look like dropsy, not as late as I've seen it but not early either . 100% not your fault, it moves like wildfire and it really sucks because it can happen in the best of water quality. How big is the hospital tank? If it's under a gallon, it's going to need water changes every few hours. I'd try and get something at least a gallon. And are those live or fake plants (good either way, just curious). And I know the restrictions on such medications are pretty severe in India, I'm sorry you don't have much access. I didn't know epsom salt was restricted as well, I'll keep that in mind.

Medications are extremely helpful, I've had luck with kanaplex, but do you have an alternative since OP can't get any? Dang, I don't think I'll be able to find it since it was a long time ago, but I remember this other thread and this one person needed medication that was restricted in India but someone on here knew a different brand for human consumption or something and was able to help the person access it... unfortunately I think it was for a fungal issue but maybe someone will know a good alternative.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
finnipper59 said:
Without an antibiotic, I don't think you're going to cure the infection. What I had in mind has more of an external diuretic effect to help get some of the swelling down. It may do no good without antibiotics, but it's a salt bath. Take 1 gallon of dechlorinated water (from the tank if possible) and mix exactly 1 tbsp of aquarium salt. I recommend a whole gallon because it's easier to get the dosage right. Put some water in a plastic bag once the salt is completely disolved with the betta and float in tank exactly 5 minutes. Then open the bag and slowly start adding tank water to the bag until you have as much tank water as equal to the water that was in the bag. Take the fish out of the bag and put back in tank. Dispose of bag water and fill tank back up with fresh dechlorinated water. Do this twice a day to try to draw excess water out of fishe's cells.
I'm not sure I would recommend this, as salt is very harsh on bettas and I've heard aquarium salt can make it worse. Maybe a faster dip first? I guess I may have to bow out, I'm not sure on what should be done in this situation, it's a tough one. I wish you the best of luck, and I'll answer any questions that I feel I'm able to.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rtessy said:
I'm not sure I would recommend this, as salt is very harsh on bettas and I've heard aquarium salt can make it worse. Maybe a faster dip first? I guess I may have to bow out, I'm not sure on what should be done in this situation, it's a tough one. I wish you the best of luck, and I'll answer any questions that I feel I'm able to.
Without antibiotics, the condition may just become worsened. If it gets worse and the fish gets more bloated, it will be in a painful condition and dying. At that euthanasia may be the best choice...I'm sorry.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom