Betta With Dropsy... And Parasite/fungus?

1. kyrcrafter

kyrcrafter Valued Member Member

About a month ago I posted about some of my female bettas bloating. It had been decided that it was most likely from overfeeding. I didn't even get a chance to change my feeding method before one of them (Zombie) passed, and a few weeks later another one (Sky, my baby u_u) passed for no apparent reason. I had two left (Sapphire and AJ) and their bloating went down with time. A few days ago I did a water change. At the same time, I'd added two fish, and moved a few others. AJ used to pick on Sapphire in the past, but that seemed to lessen and almost stop completely with the tank being more empty. After the water change I noticed Sapphire was becoming slightly less active. I didn't think much of it until she became less interested in food (especially mealworms) and her color also seemed to be fading a bit. I was treating the tank with Microbe-Lift Artemis (Bacterial), Microbe-Lift Herbtana (Parasitic), and DrTim's Aquatics First Defense (Stress/Immune) as a precaution after the stress of the water change anyway so I figured that would resolve anything wrong with her as well. Unfortunately it seems I was wrong. Yesterday I discovered the tell-tale sign of dropsy (which some say is the indicator that whatever the disease is has progressed too far to save the fish). She was pineconing. She also had a clamped fin and some kind of white growth-looking thing under the top of her right gill. I'm really hoping what people say is wrong about the pineconing. Even if it is, I'd like some help determining what the white growth is in case it's something that could affect the rest of my fish. 70Wtb1c_d.jpg dMr7FXS_d.jpg
    Since I'm the worst fishkeeper alive, I do not have a hospital tank right now u_u" I have separated her from the rest of the fish using a net breeder both to prevent her from stress and for the sake of the rest of the fish if that could help in any way. Some may say that was counter productive (in terms of preventing stress), but her color does seem to have returned. SKb70Y5_d.jpg eglwxcW_d.jpg
    She's not eating at all (you can see some flakes in the photos) and she just sits still in that corner other than to do this weird kind of shake/shiver thing (and actually flare out her scales) when she's reaching up for air. With a broken heart I've accepted that her prognosis is very grave, but can anyone help me identify what that thing is under her gill (and maybe a way to get rid of whatever it is)? It's very concerning to me. It doesn't look like ich and I have no idea what it could be except maybe some kind of fungus or parasite. Please help. Even if I can't save her I have to do what I can to protect the rest of my babies u_u"

2. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

So sorry to hear ur bettas. I think treating her further will not only stress her out but it may end her life. @KimberlyG may be able to steer u in the right direction.

3. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Were there any white areas on the other fish?

4. OP
    OP
    kyrcrafter

She's already passed :/ but what makes you say that?

5. OP
    OP
    kyrcrafter

Nope

6. OP
    OP
    kyrcrafter

After she passed and I took her out I noticed it was almost like a gunky slimy kind of stuff all under that one gill

7. chibijeanbean17

chibijeanbean17 New Member Member

Dropsy is highly contagious and is a symptom more than an actual disease. Keep a close eye on your tank and up your water changes (I'd do 25% a day, any more than 50% and you risk crashing your cycle). I'm usually an optimist but you'll be lucky if you don't lose anyone else.
    The slime sounds like it could have been an infection that got super out of hand.

8. KimberlyG

I'm sorry to hear that she did not make it. It didn't sound too good last night.
    The only guess I could make would be columnaris on her gills. As far as what is going through your tank, with the only common symptom being bloating, it is hard to tell. Do you have other threads on the previous sick fish?

9. OP
    OP
    kyrcrafter

The rest of the fish survived - with the exception of a few corys that died for an unrelated reason - and the tank seems to be recovering nicely. Of course now my other tank has an (unknown) infection causing slime disease and fin rot resulting in the loss of three fish and possibly a snail, but the treatments (frequent water changes, raising salinity and temp as well as adding API Melafix API Pimafix and MicrobeLift Herbtana - recently switched the two APIs to API Fungus Cure and API Fin & Body Cure as they contain actual medication) have begun to work and it appears my remaining three are going to survive.

10. KimberlyG

I'm glad to hear some are doing better.

11. chibijeanbean17

Perhaps try Microbe-lift Herbal Actives Artemis?
    I've had huge success with treating not only fin rot, but also ich and I've heard it does wonders for velvet as well though I have no personal experience to speak on that issue. I was using api stress coat to treat my betta's fin rot and it was slow going, I switched over to Artemis and saw a noticeable difference in under a week.
    If you feel what you're doing is working though, keep at it by all means. Best of luck.

12. Kitma

Kitma Valued Member Member

13. DIYhack

DIYhack Valued Member Member

I'd have to disagree. Dropsy is not contagious. It's the conditions that caused dropsy that are contagious if that makes any sense.

You could pull a dropsy fish and put it in another aquarium with healthy fish and nothing will happen to the healthy ones.

You could pull the health fish put it in the dropsy aquarium and it would thrive.

It's a very strange infection.

The fatal rate is crazy to I'd say like 95%+. I could tell op's fish had like 6hrs left in him from the 1st pic. :(

14. chibijeanbean17

True, thanks for correcting that. I'm not always very good at conveying what I'm trying to say.

At the time I was thinking more along the line that there is a certain sickness that people can pass on to fish that's known to lead to dropsy, I can't even think of what it is now though. Go figure.