Betta With Damaged Sight

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So my betta injured his eye a couple of weeks ago on his new filter, it's better now but he seems to have lost some sight. He's having trouble getting his food. Do you think this could recover after all this time? The cloudiness in his eye cleared up after a couple of days.

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It’s tough to say, he may or may not. My betta has diamond eye that’s slowly been progressing so now he’s about 50% blind in each eye. I’ve been training him to find his food with 2-3 taps on the top of the glass and pushing it right in front of his face because it’s really hard for him to see things above as opposed to straight ahead. I would start getting in to a routine with feeding and give a few taps every time to signal to him that it’s time to eat.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BReefer97 said:
It’s tough to say, he may or may not. My betta has diamond eye that’s slowly been progressing so now he’s about 50% blind in each eye. I’ve been training him to find his food with 2-3 taps on the top of the glass and pushing it right in front of his face because it’s really hard for him to see things above as opposed to straight ahead. I would start getting in to a routine with feeding and give a few taps every time to signal to him that it’s time to eat.
I have a betta in my community tank that can see fine, but had been getting slighted on food because of my quick eating piggy angelfish and redeye tetras. I ordered a small round floating feeding ring that stays in place by a suction cup. I put his food in the ring and over the regular surface for the rest of the fish. He got trained to the other fish come to the front of the tank when they see me coming, but the betta goes right to his feeding ring. A feeding ring may be easier for your bettas to find their food too.

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, finding the food isn't an issue, I just have to turn off the filters/air stone so it stays in once place and he can get it. Thankfully he's in with just some shrimp and an apple snail, so there's no competition for his food. Might get a feeding ring, I'd thought of using one for my bigt ank before but decided against it, mostly because I was thinking of pool rings since I had no idea actual fish feeding rings existed. I'll see if my favourite pet shop can get one in, thanks. Guess we'll just see how it goes then.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
InsanityShard said:
Well, finding the food isn't an issue, I just have to turn off the filters/air stone so it stays in once place and he can get it. Thankfully he's in with just some shrimp and an apple snail, so there's no competition for his food. Might get a feeding ring, I'd thought of using one for my bigt ank before but decided against it, mostly because I was thinking of pool rings since I had no idea actual fish feeding rings existed. I'll see if my favourite pet shop can get one in, thanks. Guess we'll just see how it goes then.
bettas can smell, try not to make too many changes in the tank then if you think he is blind.

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He can definately see, but he's been missing his food when it sinks.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
InsanityShard said:
He can definately see, but he's been missing his food when it sinks.
That happens to betta that has no sight problems at all. They normally won't eat any thing from the bottom. Their lips are genetically turned upwards making them naturally surface feeders. But put live brine shrimp in the water and they will go after them all over the tank.

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No, he swims after it as usual, but it's only recently that he started missing when he goes to grab it. Yeah, he won't eat off the bottom but he usually lets it sink and starts chasing it first. I also can't get any brine shrimp here. =[ There's Daphnia in the tank but he doesn't seem to notice.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
InsanityShard said:
No, he swims after it as usual, but it's only recently that he started missing when he goes to grab it. Yeah, he won't eat off the bottom but he usually lets it sink and starts chasing it first. I also can't get any brine shrimp here. =[ There's Daphnia in the tank but he doesn't seem to notice.
Well...as long as he manages to eat then he's ok. As far daphnia go, they are only to be used as a very occasional treat anyway. Daphnia are one of the foods that can cause diarrhea.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom