Betta with damaged body and fins...overnight change.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by plemj2224, Aug 3, 2015.

1. plemj2224

plemj2224New MemberMember

I am new to posting to this site, so I am unsure if I was successful at uploading the photos of my poor betta.

Background and Water Stats:

I bought my betta two days ago. I had him in a 20 gallon tall tank, with four platies, 6 cory cats, 2 snails, 2 dwarf frogs, and one male guppy. I was ready to separate him from the guppy if needed, but they actually did not pay any attention to one another. Water Quality : 0ppm Ammonia, 0ppm Nitrite, 5ppm Nitrate. My Nitrates were at about 20ppm the day I got him, so I did a pwc to bring it down to 5ppm before I put him in the tank. My heater is 50watts, room temp 75 degrees f, water temp stable at 78-79 degrees f. I use Seachum's Prime to treat my water. I do 25-30% water changes each week depending on water readings.

Please Help!

My betta went from a beautiful blue color with long flowing fins to looking very dull overnight. Some of his blue remains, but there is a huge spot on top of his body. It appears either he got nipped on repeatedly in the same general area...or perhaps trapped himself and fell asleep behind a heater?? I included a picture of when he was pretty yesterday, and two pictures of him today. The one picture I had to use flash for the picture to show up better. (Note: the lighting is also yellowish in the sick tank.)

Either way, I'd like to know how I can best treat my betta. I have him in a 10 gallon hospital tank. I put 50 percent less then directed PimaFix and BettaFix. I know about the breathing organ debate but it seems like it's a 50/50 argument that goes both ways and I feel helpeless not doing anything.

Water stats on sick tank : 79 degrees f, o ppm Ammonia, 0 ppm Nitrite, 0 ppm Nitrate.

Attached Files:

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Good to have you here! :)

Oh wow. What test kit are you using? Also, the heater doesn't have enough wattage for that tank size, a 100w heater would be MUCH better for the tank size. Were any of the other bettas where you got him from showing similar symptoms?

3. OP
    OP
    plemj2224

No, all of the bettas looked like they were doing just fine. I researched my heater ahead of time, I saw a few different charts that said I only needed 50 watts since I only needed the heater to bump me 3-4 degrees . I'll have to look into this more I suppose. I am using the API Liquid test kit with the little bottles, as I understand the strips are not all that reliable.

All of my other fishies are doing just fine, as well. I have had most of them for about three months now.

4. BornThisWayBettas

I too am at a bit of a loss here, as I've never seen anything like this before. Is he acting fine?

5. OP
    OP
    plemj2224

He's not nearly as perky as he was yesterday, but he's still going up for air. As a precaution I put him in a little net box thing that Keeps him closer to the surface. Still about 6x larger than the cup he was in... I have never seen this either. And it literally happened overnight.

6. BornThisWayBettas

I'd wait for more answers. As of right now, I'm out of ideas. Sorry. :(

7. OP
    OP
    plemj2224

Thank you for reaching out! He actually didn't make it. I'd still like to know what happened so it won't happen again...

8. BornThisWayBettas

I'm very sorry for your loss. :'( :console: As for what was wrong, it's very possibly he was carrying something when you brought him home, and then just got sick after you placed him in the tank. Point is, not your fault. As I have no clue as to what this could be, I don't know what steps should be taken before trying again, except a QT tank to protect your other fish.