Betta with crusty nose Help

1. smilymoods Initiate Member

Hello All. I need help. I have a male (I think) Betta who was left with me over the summer. The person he belonged to has not come to pick him up so I think I officially have inherited him. Since I've had him his nose and around his mouth appears white and crusty. There also appears to be a bit of a gash next to his mouth. The crustiness stayed the same for the entire summer but recently has seemed to spread. It doesn't appear like a cotton ball so I didn't think it was columnaris. Can anyone look at the picture I've included and give some suggestions?
    This is the best I could do, he doesn't seem to like me very much :(
    Hes currently by himself in a 1.5 gallon tank and the water with AquaSafe gets a 25% change every week. I don't have a test kit to test the water. Before I recieved him in June I dont think his water had ever been changed. Also he doesn't currently have a heater but when I upgrade him next week to a 5 gallon tank he will.

Attached Files:

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi welcome to FishLore :)
    Congrats on inheariting a Betta. I couldn't help but laugh when you said he doesn't like you.
    I'm sorry he's not feeling well. I can't really tell what's wrong by the picture.
    Could he have hurt himself on something in the tank?
    I'm really glad he's getting a heated 5g tank, good for you! and better for him.

At this point, I'd suggest keeping his water clean and see if he improves once he's in a proper size heated tank.
    You can add a drop of garlic juice to his tank to help boost his immnune system along with some extra stress coat and Vita-Chem.

Here's our Betta care guide

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?
    Here's a link explaining it: Nitrogen cycle
    During the cycling process ammonia and nitrites can reach toxic levels, it'll be important for you to do daily water changes until it's complete, usually about a month.
    You should also pick up a good liquid test kit so you can moniter his water during the process. Avoid the strips, they can be inaccurate and therefore a waste of money.

If you can find Tetra SafeStart, it's a product that will help cycle the tank within a week. Many members have had good luck with it.
    Avoid any other products that claim to cycle a tank. They just plain don't work and will prolong the cycle.
    If you use Tetra SafeStart, you won't have to do the daily water changes. :)

Let's see if anyone else has ideas on what could be wrong with him.

Sorry for such a long reply. :) I'm so happy you've taken this fish in and are improving his conditions.
    Best of luck.

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to fishlore :;hi2