Betta with crusty nose Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by smilymoods, Nov 30, 2009.

1. smilymoodsNew MemberMember

Hello All. I need help. I have a male (I think) Betta who was left with me over the summer. The person he belonged to has not come to pick him up so I think I officially have inherited him. Since I've had him his nose and around his mouth appears white and crusty. There also appears to be a bit of a gash next to his mouth. The crustiness stayed the same for the entire summer but recently has seemed to spread. It doesn't appear like a cotton ball so I didn't think it was columnaris. Can anyone look at the picture I've included and give some suggestions?
    This is the best I could do, he doesn't seem to like me very much :(
    Hes currently by himself in a 1.5 gallon tank and the water with AquaSafe gets a 25% change every week. I don't have a test kit to test the water. Before I recieved him in June I dont think his water had ever been changed. Also he doesn't currently have a heater but when I upgrade him next week to a 5 gallon tank he will.

Attached Files:

2. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Hi welcome to FishLore :)
    Congrats on inheariting a Betta. I couldn't help but laugh when you said he doesn't like you.
    I'm sorry he's not feeling well. I can't really tell what's wrong by the picture.
    Could he have hurt himself on something in the tank?
    I'm really glad he's getting a heated 5g tank, good for you! and better for him.

At this point, I'd suggest keeping his water clean and see if he improves once he's in a proper size heated tank.
    You can add a drop of garlic juice to his tank to help boost his immnune system along with some extra stress coat and Vita-Chem.

Here's our Betta care guide

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?
    Here's a link explaining it: Nitrogen cycle
    During the cycling process ammonia and nitrites can reach toxic levels, it'll be important for you to do daily water changes until it's complete, usually about a month.
    You should also pick up a good liquid test kit so you can moniter his water during the process. Avoid the strips, they can be inaccurate and therefore a waste of money.

If you can find Tetra SafeStart, it's a product that will help cycle the tank within a week. Many members have had good luck with it.
    Avoid any other products that claim to cycle a tank. They just plain don't work and will prolong the cycle.
    If you use Tetra SafeStart, you won't have to do the daily water changes. :)

Let's see if anyone else has ideas on what could be wrong with him.

Sorry for such a long reply. :) I'm so happy you've taken this fish in and are improving his conditions.
    Best of luck.

3. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

welcome to fishlore :;hi2

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice