betta with corys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've never tried it myself but some members have had good luck keeping them together.
As always, it depends on the betta and have a back up plan in case things don't work out.
Good luck!

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm personally not a fan of bettas being mixed with other fish, however that's just my personal preference. I know several members have done so successfully, particularly when mixing with bottom feeders. As Lucy mentioned, it will depend greatly on your betta as some will be more tolerant of tank mates than others. In that size tank you might be able to get away with it, but since bettas tend to be less tolerant of fish who share their swim space you won't be able to add much else. If you do decide to go with a betta be sure to provide some tall plants (real or silk) for your betta to rest on. That way he won't have to go so far to reach the surface to breathe.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It sounds like it's enough in terms of bioload, and most reports are that bettas and cories do get along (typically). Again, it depends on the individual fish sometimes. But a 20g high isn't a particularly great tank for a betta, I believe. They aren't very strong swimmers and will need to get to the top for air occasionally. If the betta were to be stressed/weak/ill, it would be harder than usual to get up there. Even when the betta's healthy, some tall plants might be in order.

My feeling is that cories would be happier in a wider tank as well, but obviously not for the same reason.

OP
fishingman001

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
what can go with 5 cories in a 20 long?

I don't want the betta to be in there if there is potential for fighting.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
what can go with 5 cories in a 20 long?

I don't want the betta to be in there if there is potential for fighting.
is it a high or long tank? if its a tall tank, I agree with midthought...bettas dont do well in taller tanks....IMO it lessons their life as they spend so much time'/energy getting to the top for air......if its a long, you may be able to get away with cories... but as others have suggested, each betta is different and have a back up plan

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In a 20 gallon long you can go with almost any small to medium community fish. Harlequin rasboras, danios, cherry barbs. Any of the smaller tetras like neons, cardinals, rummynose, lemon. Just to name a few. You can even have a small school of one of these along with a nice centerpiece fish such as a small species of gourami. Live bearers like guppies, mollies and platys are also suitable. Obviously you will not be able to have ALL of these, but a long tank has much more options than a tall.

This is of course providing you don't have the betta.

michael68

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a betta in my 20 gallon with two cories and they dont even know each other exist.There is also many other fish in the tank and so far they all get along.(check out my tank profile)I might have just gotten a good mannered betta.

OP
fishingman001

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IMO michael68 your tank is really overstocked but I am glad to see the betta is fine with the tank mates. Is the pleco a bristlenose or common?

michael68

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dont i know my tank is overstocked!!I think once i find a home for my quick growing baby wags i should be fine.I just reccentlly found a home for the parents.There is no aggression in the tank except that the black skirts seem to mess with each other from time to time.The way i deal with the overstocked issue is two 25% water changes a week,very small feedings in the evening and a good gravel vac once a week.My live plants are also fertilized with flourish excel and comprehensive.I cant count on the fish waste to fertilize since to keep my nitrates between 10-20 i have do do the regular gravel vacs.My pleco is a common chocolate albino(really freaky looking fish!!)He only is seen at night when i feed him algea wafers.(since i have hardly any algea)I dont think he likes my t5 ho lighting.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
but 5 cories and 6 guppies wouldnt make it overstocked? Can I also put in otos? Or snails?
In a 20g? Others are free to disagree, but I think you'd be *okay*, particularly if you had plants (or chose pygmy cories!). You'd probably have to see how quickly your nitrates rise and how often you'd have to do your water changes. However, you're going to wind up with a lot more guppies if you mix your sexes, and you're going to have a plan for all the babies, which will probably quickly stress the bioload.

I'd say no to the otos, because you're probably at your upper limit. Snails are a maybe since i think their bioload is so small. But I'd probably just add what you want most first (I assume the fish?) and then see how your nitrate/water change schedule looks. If the bioload's doesn't appear maxed out, then I could see adding snails.

JJC

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi, i know this is a reply is a little late, but i have 6 peppered corys with a betta in a 50g tank and its fine. ( as well and a neons and bamboo shrimp) This betta seems to be the happiest one i have ever had.

dvc_r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It all depends on the Betta. I had four tanks with male bettas and three cories in each. Three of the tanks were fine the fourth Betta eat the eyes out of the cories and messed up a fin (it wasn't pretty!).

I also have a female Betta that I keep in a 20 gal with my breeding guppies. Let me tell you after a weekend of breeding she looks like she went through a blender but when she goes back into the guppy tank (and eats all the guppy fry) she is back in full flare in 2 weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom