Betta With Corydoras?

1. MissSly

MissSly New Member Member

Hi, everyone!
    I'm currently in the process of setting up and cycling a 20 gallon long aquarium.
    I plan to keep a group of 8-10 dainty corys ( corydoras habrosus ) and, once they're comfortable and quarantined, I want to move my more docile betta into the tank as well ( I have two; they each have their own 5 gallon tank ).
    My more docile betta currently lives with two amano shrimp, with no issues. He very mildly chased them at first, but quickly grew to ignore them.

Does anyone house their betta with other species? Is it a bad idea?
    I'm going to keep my 5 gallon cycled and running just in case I need to remove my betta from the corys.​

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Dainty cories need cooler water than bettas. I would recommend 8 bronze cories or sterbai cories.

I keep/have kept my betta with amano shrimp, rabbit snails, nerite snails and pest snails.

3. OP
    OP
    MissSly

I was under the impression that corydoras habrosus and betta were in the same temperature range, 77°F-80°F.
    I keep my betta tanks at 78°F.

4. A

AqauriumCK New Member Member

You're correct, both bettas and corys are within the same temperature range.

5. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Salt and pepper cories (AKA dainty cories) need 68- 76f with their ideal being around 73f. Bettas need 78-82f with their ideal being 80f.

6. OP
    OP
    MissSly

The research I've done puts dainty cory's in the 77-80°F range. I'll have to double and triple check and possibly re-consider my options.
    I wanted to go with the dainty cory's since they're smaller than the bronze and sterbai and I could keep them in a larger, more comfortable group.

Thanks for the information :)

7. Baconater

Baconater New Member Member

I have several male bettas that have all lived with other fish, snails, and invertebrates at some point in time. Currently I have some that are living with Amano shrimp, RCS, Nerite snails, mystery snails, pest snails, Chili Rasboras, Rainbow shark, black neon tetras... All without any trouble. I have no experience with Cory's although I hear that most variants do prefer colder temperatures. Maybe look into Corydoras Sterbai as I've read they can tolerate warmer temperatures more readily.

8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah habrosus cories are found in Venezuela which is a warmer water area, I wouldn't worry about them with bettas.
    They're found in the same river as german blue rams are in.