Betta With Corydora

1. Prism Well Known Member Member

Hey! I have a koi male betta in a 10g, I was wondering if I could do Pygmy Cory? About 6 of those, and some cherry shrimp? Thanks.

2. Brandon_the_fish_guy Initiate Member

Yes

Betts are primarily top level fish and Cory's are bottom level so they will probably never even interact and for the cherry shrimp they are invertebrates so the betta won't fight them. Nice job choosing a 10 gallon for your betta instead of the impossible 1 gallons marketed for them

3. jertan98 Member Member

Yea. becareful tho, the cherry shrimp might end up being food to ur betta

4. kayla.s Well Known Member Member

The shrimp may end up becoming betta food, I'd go with either the corys OR shrimp. Not really both... if you decide to go with shrimp, get the least colorful ones as those are less likely to become a snack. Also make sure that the corys have the same temperature range as the betta

From what I can tell you should keep the tank at 78°F. Though this is borderline for both the betta and cory

5. Prism Well Known Member Member

I was researching about this and I found a thread, and Anders replied to it, and said pygmy cory are more of middle swimmers, and may get on the bettas nerves, so I'm worried to try. @Anders247 What do you say about this?

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Pygmy corys do indeed spend a lot of their time in the mid levels, they also wouldn't like the higher temp the Betta prefers so I'd suggest not having them together

7. kayla.s Well Known Member Member

The salt and pepper cory is more temperature compatible and stays small. Perhaps look in to these as an alternative

8. Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't put any cory in a 10 gallon with how active they are. Also, peppered cories get pretty big actually. I currently have them in my tank and of them is female and huge.

9. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

salt and pepper is habrosus.
    peppered is paleatus

10. jertan98 Member Member

corydoras hasbrosus are one of the dwarf variety and stay pretty small so u MIGHT be able to keep 3 or 4 which is the "unadvised minimum" haha.

also for shrimp maybe u could try amano. they eat algae, are bigger than RCS and usually come cheaper.

if all else fails, just get 1 nerite snail.

11. Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

My bad! Sleep deprived and misread that

12. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Pygmy cories are not temperature compatible with bettas and need a larger tank.

13. vin Well Known Member Member

10G for 6 corys, 1 koi, a betta and the shrimp is too small. And the shrimp will be a nice feast for the better.

14. Prism Well Known Member Member

Ah, ok! Thanks everyone.