Betta With Convict Cichlids Emergency

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by JohnA96, Jul 19, 2019.

1. JohnA96

JohnA96New MemberMember

Hey guys so I had a Betta In my 10 gal and I went to lfs and got two convicts a pair. And he said it will be fine with Betta for now. I woke up and my Betta's fins are all tore up pretty bad! I took him out and put him in a spare 1 gal. Hoping he will survive I need to know how I can treat him. And if when he does get healed would he be okay for a 29 gall community tank.

2. Feohw

FeohwWell Known MemberMember

2 convicts is a 10 gallon with a betta wasn't a great idea. Those convicts will need a bigger tank too. I doubt the 1 gal is cycled is it? He'll need clean water to heal up those fins. It may just be best to return the convicts and put him back in the 10g. How bad are the fins? Any pics?

As for the community that depends on the fish in there and his temperament

3. OP
    OP
    JohnA96

JohnA96New MemberMember

4. Feohw

I wouldn't add a betta into a tank with another anabantoid. There would likely be conflict between the gourami and the betta.

5. StupidMonkey

StupidMonkeyNew MemberMember

Where you planning on putting the Convicts in the community tank? Your phrasing makes it sound like you were temporarily housing them in the 10g.

I don't understand why a LFS would say they would be alright in a 10g let alone with a betta.

6. OP
    OP
    JohnA96

JohnA96New MemberMember

No. So I will return them back to store as for the Betta what should I do about his fins

7. Feohw

I would return them soon so that the betta can go back into the 10 gallon. With nipped fins clean water is important so as not to cause an infection or make things worse. My banjo cat had 95% of her analfins nipped off. They are growing back beautifully with just clean water. With that said my male bettas fins didn't grow back in quite the same after they were damaged. How bad are his fins? The 1 gallon isn't ideal for his situation, especially as its likely not cycled. Make sure the water is clean through frequent water changes and get him to that 10g soon.

8. OP
    OP
    JohnA96

JohnA96New MemberMember

Update he is fine now everything seems to be healing fine