Betta with cloudy eyes, stringy poop, resting on bottom

akb427

For about two weeks now, my betta has had cloudy eyes, and usually a string of poop.
He's eating fine, but is resting on the bottom a lot. The clouds have always been in both eyes, but not always the same amount in each; for a couple of days there was much less in one eye than the other. He's in a small tank (2.5 gal), so I've been changing at least 50% of the water per day for most of the past week. What else should I be doing for him? Any medicine that's appropriate? Thanks for any suggestions...

Tank details: One betta, no other critters. Live plants. Ammonia near zero, nitrites near zero, nitrates under 5ppm, pH around 7.4. Tank is about 76 deg F. Two air bubbler filters. Food was ZooMed pellets for most of a year, we were transitioning to Omega One Betta Buffet pellets when he got sick, have now backed off of those and are trying Invert Aquatics Ultimate Betta Bits.

Attachments

Flyfisha

What is an air bubbler filter? You have two in a 2.5 gallon can I see a photo please.
Can you test your tap water for nitrates.

At this stage I would only suggest add an Indian almonds leaf if you have some?

akb427

Nitrates on tap water is a little hard to read for sure, it seems significantly below 5ppm but maybe above zero.

They are sponge filters. One has a cartridge with some zeolite and a sponge enclosed in plastic (a Penn-Plax Small World model). I haven't been changing that one because when I did before, it upset the tank cycle.

That's why I added the second one. The second one has exposed sponge material, so I can wash the outside in tank water. I'm not sure how much biofilter lives in each one, though, and I didn't want to upset the cycle again, so I've just left them both in place most of this year. I'm hoping to get a larger tank soon, so I figured I could use one to help cycle that before moving the critter.

Attachments

Flyfisha

Thanks for the pictures and the explanation on another name for a sponge filter . It seems you are doing everything possible in the correct way?
I have a very limited selection of medication available in Australia. I can’t recommend something I have not used. I does seem the diet is basic and that is all I can suggest as something to try and help. Fresh or frozen is perhaps a better option that dry. You may have access to live blood worms if you ask around. While buying a scoop of live blood worms is not economical for one small fish it would be easier than learning to culture live foods in the immediate future.Mosquito larvae and fruit flies are two easy cultures to learn.
Continue with the regular temperature matched conditioned water changes. Using a gravel vacuum hose is not easy in tight tanks but somehow we must remove the poop from the substrate. Slowly slowly is always the key with any tank . It’s probably more important in a small tank not to clean to much each week.
I hope someone else with medication experience are offer advice as to wither any medication is necessary or recommended.

Top Bottom