Betta with cherry shrimp?

Revan

I'm thinking of setting up a 5-gallon shrimp tank at some point during winter break, and then adding a betta (maybe at the same time, maybe in summer break, maybe sometime in between) Do you think the betta could live with the cherry shrimp without attacking? And do you think I should get a sponge filter to start seeding in my current 20-gallon long to use for it? I have no experience with bettas and shrimp, just minimal research, so any feedback would help. Thanks! (btw I'm planning on a short-fin betta, fairly certain its unnecessary info just putting that out there)

Fishstery

I'm thinking of setting up a 5-gallon shrimp tank at some point during winter break, and then adding a betta (maybe at the same time, maybe in summer break, maybe sometime in between) Do you think the betta could live with the cherry shrimp without attacking? And do you think I should get a sponge filter to start seeding in my current 20-gallon long to use for it? I have no experience with bettas and shrimp, just minimal research, so any feedback would help. Thanks! (btw I'm planning on a short-fin betta, fairly certain its unnecessary info just putting that out there)
I would definitely pre-seed a sponge filter in one of your current tanks as long as none of the tank inhabitants have any current health issues. With just a betta and/or some shrimp you can instant cycle your new tank this way as long as you run the sponge for at least 4-6 weeks before starting the new tank.

As for a betta and cherry shrimp, it really is on a case by case basis. Some bettas will be chill about it and after one or two attempts leave the shrimp alone to live in peace. Other bettas are more active hunters and will not be able to live with shrimp if you mind the shrimp being snacks. I've had more bettas that were too predatory-driven to have neocaridina shrimp with than bettas that were able to peacefullt coexist, however I have had 2 bettas in the past that lived with active breeding colonies of neocaridina and only had shrimplets get picked off here and there.

I also think it depends on the color of the shrimp, bright reds like cherries or bloody marys are more of an easy target for a betta whereas green jade or blue dreams are less obvious and tend to not draw too much attention. Most of my bettas only hunted the red yellow and orange shrimp.

Luckily cherry shrimp are relatively cheap and easy to come by, so I would just start with 2 or 3 and see what happens. Your betta is the only one that can give you a yes or no answer lol. Provide some clumps of Java moss or piece of cholla wood, some places to hide from the betta, and roll the dice.

MoshJosh

I wouldn't put any cherry shrimp in with a betta unless you are willing to feed your betta an expensive snack. That being said some bettas leave cherries alone, just depends on the betta.

I would probably put the shrimp in first, betta in last.

Also, yeah you could seed a sponge filter in your current tank.

Tigerburp

I tried that and it ended in disaster..well not for my betta he had a seafood meal

otterblue

Success can also depend partially on the size of the tank. In a 5 gallon, the betta and shrimp encounter each other more often and there are less hiding places. The bigger the tank, the more potential for success.

ProudPapa

. . .
I would probably put the shrimp in first, betta in last.

I agree that would give the best chance for success, but I also want to point out that it can be difficult to keep shrimp alive in a new tank. Their survival rate is much better in tanks that have been running for at least three months.

Revan

I agree that would give the best chance for success, but I also want to point out that it can be difficult to keep shrimp alive in a new tank. Their survival rate is much better in tanks that have been running for at least three months.
I’ve been mulling over that factor myself for a while. What if i let the sponge filter seed in my tank starting today, then come winter break set up the tank, then just let it sit for a few weeks and then add a few shrimp?

ProudPapa

I’ve been mulling over that factor myself for a while. What if i let the sponge filter seed in my tank starting today, then come winter break set up the tank, then just let it sit for a few weeks and then add a few shrimp?

That would be better than adding them to a brand new tank, but also setting up the tank now, even just with water and plants, then add the shrimp and seeded filter in late January, would be still better.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Tezzy
Replies
Views
endlercollector
Replies
Views
barbiespoodle
Replies