Betta With Cataracts?

Francxs

Reaction score
Ive had my betta for at least 3 months now. Hes been in a cycled tank, which with all its testing has come back clean, with weekly wage changes and everything. He eats well, has no other health issues, but has the worst case of what id call cataracts ive ever seen on a fish. Google images cant even produce anything similar to what he has going on. It almost looks like skin is growing on his eyes.
Anyone wanna confirm if this is just really bad cataracts or if it might be something else? Hes got no white spots anywhere else and even if he did the ones on his eyes are wayyy too huge to be ick. Also these arent like milky cataracts they are solid white.
Pics for reference.
0330182338a_HDR.jpg
0330182339d_HDR.jpg

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You've got a dragon scale plakat, and dragon scales are prone to "diamond eye" aka their scales grow over their eyes. It's a genetic problem and nothing you do will fix it. He can live just fine so long as you make sure he keeps eating.

WhatsUpGuys

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It’s a condition called diamond eye, like Demeter said. Bettas with full masks (colored scales covering the head) sometimes get this. **** go fully blind after a while but as long as you’re willing to hand feed him, he’ll be fine.

Francxs

Reaction score
Super glad to hear! I love the little guy, hes the calmest most relaxed betta ive ever had, even before he went full blind mode so id hate for him to be hurting or anything from it. Its a bummer cause he wasn't labelled as a dragon scale, if anything hes like half dragon half not but i love him the same.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom