Betta With Cardinal Tetras

1. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

Sup ya'll! My 20 long high tech tank is open. No fish. Originally I was planning on a big school of cardinal tetras and some otos, but then... @stella1979 started posting betta pics and talking about her betta's personallity. NOO I don't need that. So, today I was at Walmart and saw this STUNNING red and blue betta, looked kind of like those pillows that change color the different ways you look at them. I think it was a veil-tale? Anyways, I almost got him then and there, but then thought better of it. I didn't look at any of the others as I was rushed. I would look at all the others next time. Would it be possible to have a betta with about 15 Cardinal Tetras in a heavily planted 20 long?

I did a quick bit of research on mu phone and evidently bettas, at least the large tailed ones can tear their tails up with too much swimming room... Should I get a smaller tailed one? What are smaller tailed bettas called?

2. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

Small tails... plakats I believe?

Housing in larger tank with nano fish? It sure can be done. Check out how Cory at Aqua Coop keeps bettas... with tetras!:D I'd say it depends on the individual fish, but I'm always amazed when I see Cory's community bettas. Here's what I've noticed though... the bettas are added to established communities. Do I think Sam could have tetras in his tank? Nope. Do I think he might tolerate them if I moved him to the 20? Yes. This thread is giving me that exact thought as a matter of fact. I LOOOOVVVVEEE my cube, but hrmmm, it would make a great frag tank. :D

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'm not a fan of bettas in community tanks because of the potential stress on the betta, so I would vote no, but you could always do just the betta? Or get another tank for him if you still want cardinals?

4. OP
    OP
    Culprit

Thought about doing a betta sorotiy but not sure its heavily enough planted... Frag tank yeahhh! I do love plakats.

It is an aquascape so it needs the schooling fish. It needs the motion and the bright small fish to make scale. I get what your saying though. Would a smaller finned betta like a plakat work since it would be able to move easier and not have the likelyhood of getting nipped?

Sadly another tank is not an option. I do have my 5 shrimp tank but its a shrimp tank lol.

Just realized mabye another problem... As its high tech, it has high flow. I have a 265 gph canister on there. It is packed full of media and has to pump high, so its probably like 200 gph but thats still a lot compared to what most people have. Cardinals seemed to do fine though when I had them. But like i said mabye a plakat would be OK?

Feels wierd to be asking for stocking help lol. Thanks for the quick responses though!

5. Aqua Hands

Aqua Hands Well Known Member Member

What about wild bettas? or a small schooling tank

6. TexasDomer

No, smaller finned bettas can move faster to attack other fish. And even a plakat wouldn't likely appreciate the high flow.

Instead of cardinals, which might look too big for your scape, what about a small rasbora that would appreciate the high flow and make your scape look bigger?

7. sleow

sleow Valued Member Member

I have my betta sorority in a 36g bowfront with a small school of ember tetras and they don't even seem to notice each other. Most tetras aren't too nippy, especially if they are happy and have big enough school of their own.

My one concern would be the flow of the tank. Some bettas do fine with stronger flows. Some of mine like to get right under the filter output and go for a ride along the current. Others avoid it like the plague. So it's hard to say what yours would do, but in general, most bettas like less water movement so they don't have to work as hard. But then again, if you have enough plants in the tank, that may break up the water movement enough to give him a break.

If you do decide to go with a betta, I would definitely avoid the guys with huge fins, like the halfmoons or dumbos. They do better in tanks specifically designed with their giant fins in mind. I think a veiltail or plakat would be fine.

8. Aqua Hands

you could do an Asian Biotope!

*Type of betta
    *Type of Dwarf Shrimp
    *1 Singapore Flower Shrimp ( Very interesting! I have 2 in a 10g, I know people are going to say thats overstocked but I've had them in there for 3-4 month and they love it!)
    *Type of Loaches

9. stella1979

There I go again giving bad advice and getting corrected by TD. :D Really, I appreciate it!

Here's the other thought on Cory's community bettas... They're in a store, not living in those tanks long term. There are other's that I think are semi-related to bettas. I hesitate to recommend a DG after my sad experience, but he was just as personable and beautiful as a betta, so maybe a type that is not prone to DGIV?

What do you think of paradise fish @TexasDomer ?

Accckkk! What happened to our profile pics? Anybody else seeing initials instead like I am?

10. TexasDomer

Some people do like bettas in communities, so it's not necessarily bad advice. I just don't have the same opinion :)

Paradise fish need cooler temps, but they won't do well in high flow.

11. Aqua Hands

AN? Im HH

12. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

If you have some of your tank low flow a betta will tend to stay in that area. Mine only use about 3/4 of the tank. And if you do decide to have a betta with other fish dont stock it too much. They seem to need more room of their own compared to other fish.

13. OP
    OP
    Culprit

I thought it would be the opposite, the betta getting picked on my the cards.

I was thinking about Green Neons or chili rasboras or ember tetras instead... until I realized where I am they're $5-6 apiece and I'd need 20-30 of them. Gets expensive fast. So I tried cards and they looked good.

How heavily planted is your sorority? It would be as big a school as would fit, I was thinking 15-20 as I don't have to worry about nutrient levels.

Mine is an island scape. So heavily planted in the middle, and then a DHG carpet on the outside. Please ignore the hair algae and low water level, I was busy on water change day and its a few days overdue now. Evap has been crazy so thats why water level's low and the surface isn't skimmed. I just hacked down the Limnophila, rotala, and ludwigia red, but they grow up into huge bushes.
    P1070250.JPG P1070251.JPG

Agreed. I had a DG that I think caught DGIV as well... very hesitant on those again. I was thinking about a GBR pair, paradise fish, apistogramma, or killifish. However, I do have shirmp in here. I was thinking mainly of the GBR. Its just sounds like bettas have far more personality.

Yeah, there's a thread about it in about forum.

14. sleow

sleow Valued Member Member

I have my plants on one side of my tank, on the opposite side of my HOB filter. They do a relatively good job of hiding my sponge filter. I'm waiting for my jungle val to take off like everyone says they do to help fill the top of the tank.
    -oBGzgovDBZhP1gpEI2x7bedGtVqAEeLGXE8F7QH8xhiFJo1GUbFwvV9chL7RFvwG1u26VZVgMjajAU6OG_=w852-h639-no.jpg

I personally think a betta would do fine in your tank, especially once the island is nice and bushy again! He would have plenty of swimming area on the left side of the tank, which is probably at least somewhat sheltered from the filter flow. But obviously do what you think is best for your tank! I am clearly biased towards bettas ;)

15. stella1979

Hmmm, I really want you to have a betta.:smuggrin: Do you get to spend much time with your shrimp tank? I just wonder if that tank might be perfect for a betta. Sure, there's going to be some predation, but it's like a jungle in there isn't it? Is your shrimp colony thriving? Sorry for all the questions.:p I don't know what cherry shrimp will do, but with Sam and the amano things have seriously chilled. The amano shrimp fought back when Sam was stalking him, and Sam decided to leave him alone.

GBR's would be beautiful in the 20g.:)

16. OP
    OP
    Culprit

No, since its up in the garage I don't see it. I;m only leaving it up for shrimp and moss as I can sell both and they require minimal upkeep. Yes its doing very well. I just don't think i'd see a betta enough up there.

I think I'll just get GBRs. Hve to wait until Gobiwan is out of QT but I'm moving him into the nanocube Sunday!! So then I can get either clowns, GBRs, or cardinals.

@TexasDomer slight change of subject, should I put GBR pair or cardinals in first?

17. TexasDomer

Cardinals. Add GBR last after tank is mature. They'll eat any small shrimp you have in the tank though.

18. stella1979

Hmmm, did you trim the high tech and get it all cleaned up yet? If not, maybe you want to go ahead and get the clowns first. Of course, either way, you'll have time to get tanks ready while either fish is in qt. I'd imagine you're eager to get fish in both tanks! ;)

Sort of on the subject of this tank... @TexasDomer ;) What are your thoughts on 20 longs being acceptable for fish that might normally be reserved for a 30g? Some say that as long as parameters are well managed, the 20 long offers enough swim space for 30g fish.

19. OP
    OP
    Culprit

Tank is pretty mature, been set up for a year and a half now? idk if rescaping counts... I kept all my filter media since the beginning, been using seachem matrix since I started. Been rescaped for about 2 or 3 months now. I know they'll eat some, but by the time they go in I should have a decent colony going. Lots pf hiding spots too. I can supplement with shrimp from my 5 if I need to. Theres one guy I know, nigel, who does these forest scapes. Not many hiding spots. He put in two GBRs and said they were pretty slow, most shrimp could outrun them and they only ate a few. I'll keep them very well fed with quality frozen too.

No. All it needs htough is a water change and trim. Not too hard. Definitely eager to get some fish again. Right now the only fish I have is Gobiwan!! Oh and the oto and rummynose spared from the wipeout like 6 months ago in the 20.

What 30 g fish are there? YOu thinking like EBAs or something?

20. stella1979

Oh, idk really. I was just browsing live aquaria earlier and saw one or two I liked that said 30g's. Not the best resource I know, but good for browsing. The only one I remember for sure right now was Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, common name Angel Ram according to them. Like a fat GBR with longer finnage. Really cool looking. :)