Betta with bump on the gill plate

Allie
:-\ Jasper has this bump on gill plate which has been getting bigger & bigger. My bf thinks it's a tumor, the shape to it. I can't get a pix of it. You can only see the bump on certain angles, which he won't let me take a pix of.
He seems fine, but is looking old. I haven't a clue has to how old he was when I got him In September. He has been through a lot of issues. Maybe he is just old.
I am taking the best care I can of my Jasper but there is only so much I can do for him. He has a clean tank and is fed well. If dies any time soon, I know it's because he was poor stock from a lfs. It still break my heart to see he cute little face looking old. :'(

COBettaCouple
Is there any discoloration on the surface of the bump? It seems to be totally inside and not pushing out?

Allie
Is there any discoloration on the surface of the bump? It seems to be totally inside and not pushing out?
Nope no discoloration and it seems to be pushing out just a bit.

COBettaCouple
It sounds like a tumor, but it's hard to be sure. It could be the sign of an internal infection, but I'd expect some change in behavior.

Allie
It sounds like a tumor, but it's hard to be sure. It could be the sign of an internal infection, but I'd expect some change in behavior.
He does seem depressed, not as spunky. But I recently took Holly out of his sights. He was excited about her all the time. Flaring and making bubblenest for days. He hasn't been the same since I moved her.

COBettaCouple
I think an ulcer or internal infection/parasites is possible then.

Allie
I think an ulcer or internal infection/parasites is possible then.
Man how many times does this guy need to be medicated? Poor Jasper.
On a good note...he spirits have picked up as of last night. He was flaring for me.

I divided the 15 gallon with Holly on the other side. He didn't see her so they aren't reacting to each other. I tried to get a picture of the bump. This is as close as he'll let me get. It's like he's self conscience of it & won't show the side with bump. Vain betta, go figure. lol
You can see the bump a bit in this pick & doesn't look too bad from this angle. But it is sticking out a bit further than it looks in this pix.

COBettaCouple
Hmm.. yea, I've not seen that before so I can't give a for-sure answer but has it been something slowly growing or did it just pop up one day?

Allie
Slow growing, I noticed a small bump a few months ago, but thought it went away.

COBettaCouple
So it went away for a little while, then came back?

Allie
So it went away for a little while, then came back?
It may have, I'm not sure.
He wasn't in a tank with lighting so it was harder to see then. Like I aid it all depends on how he looks at you. I may have missed it b/c it was smaller. It's hard to see on normal angles.
I am baffled too.

COBettaCouple
I guess as long as he acts normal, all there is to do is watch him. It could be a tumor, but just doesn't sound like it and with no other symptoms to go on, it's hard to say what to treat him with.

Maybe getting him something new to explore and/or rearranging his tank could perk him up .. and if his diet isn't primarily thawed, frozen HikarI bloodworms, I'd consider that diet change. Maybe he's low on protein. A liquid vitamin with vitamin c in it could be good too, like Vita-Chem. The HikarI bloodworms help with that too, since they have vitamin c added.

Allie
I guess as long as he acts normal, all there is to do is watch him. It could be a tumor, but just doesn't sound like it and with no other symptoms to go on, it's hard to say what to treat him with.

Maybe getting him something new to explore and/or rearranging his tank could perk him up .. and if his diet isn't primarily thawed, frozen HikarI bloodworms, I'd consider that diet change. Maybe he's low on protein. A liquid vitamin with vitamin c in it could be good too, like Vita-Chem. The HikarI bloodworms help with that too, since they have vitamin c added.
I give them blood worm and OMEGA1 betta pellets. I'll do whatever to help him out. He seems fine other than the lumpy head. His nickname is now Lumpy.

COBettaCouple
Are you able to get a product called Garlic Boost?

Allie
Are you able to get a product called Garlic Boost?
I haven't looked into it but I imagine I can get it somewhere or a product similar.

COBettaCouple
Some regular Garlic added to his water could be a good preventative step just in case there's any infection inside... and if there isn't, it's still good for him.

Allie
Some regular Garlic added to his water could be a good preventative step just in case there's any infection inside... and if there isn't, it's still good for him.
Thanks for the tips. ;D

COBettaCouple
No prob. Hopefully it'll never turn into anything to think about.

Allie
Hopefully not. He acts fine now that he is our with the other betta. He is a fighter and that should help. A good attitude always work for humans, why not fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Analisemcg
Replies
Views
Melissa Wedin
Top Bottom