Betta with ( "bent-ish??") back

Angelfishfinatic

New Member
Member
Messages
30
Hello! I'm still kind of new to fishlore, and I have a few questions about my dragon scale rescue betta that just got over a swim bladder problem.
So on Sunday afternoon, I went to Petsmart to get some more frozen food because I was running low, while I was there I found a betta that was floating on his side and he looked almost dead, I got a 50% discount on him and when I got home I found out he had a pretty bad swim bladder problem, I put him in a small quarantine tank that is 0.7 gallons ( I'm moving him to my divided 10 gallon tank once he gets stronger)
A few hours ago he started to be able to swim down, and he doesn't really sit on his side anymore. Something I noticed though, was that it kind of looks like he's having trouble swimming? I don't know how to explain it but it basically looks like his tail is too heavy for him, he sometimes sits on the bottom of the tank diagonally, should I be concerned about this? I don't know if I'm just paranoid. He looks like he kind of has some nitrite burns on his gills from when he was in the cup, and I think he's missing a few scales on his head.
I've done a lot of research on swim bladder in the past, but I've never had an experience with it until now, so I don't know what a betta does after the swim bladder is getting back to normal again?
Any advice would be really helpful!
 

Attachments

Katie993

Active Member
Member
Messages
305
You may be right, his tail may be heavy for him. It's hard to tell since it's a new betta and we don't know how he carried himself before but, his back looks okay to me.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Angelfishfinatic

Angelfishfinatic

New Member
Member
Messages
30
Katie993 said:
You may be right, his tail may be heavy for him. It's hard to tell since it's a new betta and we don't know how he carried himself before but, his back looks okay to me.
He does have a bigger tail than my other betta fish, so that makes sense. Thank you!
 

Katie993

Active Member
Member
Messages
305
Angelfishfinatic said:
He does have a bigger tail than my other betta fish, so that makes sense. Thank you!
No problem! I have a male with massive fins and he rests a lot and has trouble getting his fins to go the same direction he's going lol
 

Attachments

  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
Angelfishfinatic

Angelfishfinatic

New Member
Member
Messages
30
Katie993 said:
No problem! I have a male with massive fins and he rests a lot and has trouble getting his fins to go the same direction he's going lol
Wow he's gorgeous!
I've always wanted a betta with long fins, so I'm happy I was able to get one! I've read that dragon scale bettas are really i-bred, so hopefully this guy doesn't have any more problems!
 

Anixandria

Active Member
Member
Messages
79
I have a betta with a huge tail and he rests it on stuff all the time like that. My favorite is when he decides to rest on his snail lol. Your bettas back looks fine, he’s just a bit tired :)
 

Katie993

Active Member
Member
Messages
305
Angelfishfinatic said:
Wow he's gorgeous!
I've always wanted a betta with long fins, so I'm happy I was able to get one! I've read that dragon scale bettas are really i-bred, so hopefully this guy doesn't have any more problems!
I'm not sure about the dragonscale bettas. I've never had one but, it would make sense if they are inbred quite a bit. They're more common now but, they weren't always that way. I've really only seen them start popping up around here in the last 5 or 6 years. When you get him in his permanent tank, try to give him some places to rest. Mine likes to sit on plants. Doesn't matter what kind. He's currently propped up on some Windelov Java Fern that's tied to driftwood facing away from me. He's been begging for food for an hour and now he's mad at me but, he's on a diet lol
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
Angelfishfinatic

Angelfishfinatic

New Member
Member
Messages
30
Yeah I'm gonna save up some more money that way I can make my tanks completely planted, I don't have any local fish stores near me so driftwood gets kind of expensive. His side of the tank is already set up and he has a huge amazon sword, and a marimo moss ball! I think I'm gonna keep him in his quarantine tank for a few more days though just to monitor his behavior.
 

Katie993

Active Member
Member
Messages
305
Angelfishfinatic said:
Yeah I'm gonna save up some more money that way I can make my tanks completely planted, I don't have any local fish stores near me so driftwood gets kind of expensive. His side of the tank is already set up and he has a huge amazon sword, and a marimo moss ball! I think I'm gonna keep him in his quarantine tank for a few more days though just to monitor his behavior.
I have the same issue. The only LFS around here is petco and petsmart. Thought about opening my own eventually but, I realized that I like buying fish more than I like selling them lol $10 for a tiny piece of driftwood just doesn't work when you have more than a few tanks. Try this website! They have some decent prices and you can buy specific pieces. Sometimes, you can also find bulk sets of driftwood on eBay marked as "craft" driftwood for pretty cheap.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
195
Guests online
2,323
Total visitors
2,518

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom