Help Betta With A Wound/ulcer That Won't Heal.

KelRednip

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's fine I'll happily answer anything.
He has a stick on soft plastic betta leaf & two silk fears that are fine silk strands.
I say cut simply bacause he flashes & I put two & two together but could be that the original sore hadn't fully healed & came back.
Yes that other picture makes it look bad, bit I am concern that we are getting close to his insides.
Flukes are difficult to treat. Noga's book lists nearly 20 different treatments
Wow Ive tried two so far!

lilirose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm thinking "fears" is meant to be "plants"? Are you certain there are no wires or sharp parts in them?

Flashing is usually indicative of an itch, though, which brings us back to square one.

He's missing a lot of scales for sure- but as long as he's eating and swimming, he has a good chance of recovery.

KelRednip

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fearns that was, nope no wires on them.

Well his original flashing was the Gill area, hench why I treated for flukes. He stopped for a few months then started again randomly.
The recent flashing is on the wound area, so I'm assuming that's itching him.
I'm hoping to get the wound sorted & then reassess the original flashing if he still does it.
He's keeping me on my toes that's for sure l, my other boys will be feeling neglected at the is stage.

ap4lmtree

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If I use the neoplex would I do daily meth blue baths? I assume you can't use both in the water.
He's also in a filterless hospital tank, do you just re dose the neoplex after every change, it says redose every 6 (not sure I don't have the box, I'm at work) days but obviously with no filter that can't be done?
Yeah, I meant using neoplex as something to prevent bacteria. I didn't mean it would help heal the wound other than prevent any bacteria from attacking the wound while the betta heals on his own. I am not sure if it is the best for that, but I think it is good because you can use it long term to do that whereas with kanaplex you can use only short term. You would redose neoplex every water change if the water change is 100% and less than 6 days.

If you are not using a filter, but are doing only 30% water changes, then maybe your tank is too big rather than 2.5g or less. You said you do this to prevent pH fluctuation. Such fluctuation would happen if you do use RO water, which doesn't have calcium and other buffers to stabilize the water. I personally dont use with RO water because it takes so much tweaking with buffers and ph.

Because he itches it, I am not sure if he has something else now, but you said you think it is because the wound itself itches him. If you say he has had gill flukes, most people begin with prazipro as their first line of treatment for flukes or flashing.

The methylene blue would act as a redox to make his cells more optimal for taking in oxygen. Other than a redox, I am not so sure it is effective at other things, such as binding to bacteria or parasites. You can use it as a bath or in the main tank. For temporary baths, you can do double dose as you watch the fish.

I think the main thing is figuring out how he got the cut though. What about the edges of the screw in that hammock in your picture? If not, then I dont know what else it could be.

In addition to this, in your third set of pictures, it does look like the bottom part of the wound is healing or closing up.

KelRednip

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He's not so good tonight breathing is a bit fast & frequent going for air. Only ate a small amount too. I think the bottom part is now getting very very close to his insides. The original wound on his side looks not as bad.
I've put in some meth blue & crossed my fingers.
His main tank is now stripped & being thoroughly cleaned. I'll be starting from scratch again with decor.
The edge of the screw could be a possibility! I'll have a feel & see what its like.

Regarding the cut, the first time it happened it looked like a cut then it healed over fine after using meth blue.
The second time it started in the same area but with slightly raised scales. I thought he'd flashed & scraped himself it just got worse rapidly.

I quit using the RO water mix after I finished it as I was seeing no improvement at all.

Ive heard prazipro recommended alot, I used eshas one (name escapes me) but I think it's prazi, could be wrong & NT Lbs anti-fluke.
The small regular changes were recommended to me to try but obviously they haven't worked either but obviously is good for the water quality.
His usual tank is/was filtered its just the hospital tank that I run unfiltered as my usual go to med is meth blue.

Thanks for the replies.

ap4lmtree

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
He's not so good tonight breathing is a bit fast & frequent going for air. Only ate a small amount too. I think the bottom part is now getting very very close to his insides. The original wound on his side looks not as bad.
If he is having really difficult time, then it might be best to stop using all medications completely for a while.

KelRednip

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've gone down & he's still with us. Not any worse which is a surprise. He's just in clean water at the min with some Indian Almond Leaf. Little less fuzz today. The test is will he eat later.

lilirose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One or two days without food or with little food are not a huge problem. You're looking for long term trends at this point when it comes to feeding.

KelRednip

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He ate a couple of granules.
He's swimming arounnd a little more today & not hiding away. Still breathing a bit hard.
All the fuzz is gone now, there is a new white line appeared in the wound which I hope is a sign of new growth, probably too early to tell but I still hope! I really need a better camera.
IMG_20190619_145229.jpg

lilirose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That is excellent news. I hope one day you'll be able to show us what he looks like when he's healthy, he looks like a gorgeous fish.

KelRednip

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fingers crossed, I know how fast things can turn.
He’s a beautiful boy when he’s well & very happy. Shame his ears will never be the same but I’ll take tatty ears over the alternative any day.

lilirose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fins will grow back- I've seen fish who had only stumps left due to fin rot end up with normal, lovely, flowing fins once they heal. It just takes time.

Meliodas

Reaction score
Just for future reference, Furan-2 has done wonders for me and my fish that have suffered any body wounds. If there is visible body damage that will not heal well or fast on its own I use Furan-2 for 6 days, total of 3 doses, and they are good as new. I have had fish that i thought were beyond help and Furan-2 brought them back even better than before. I would always keep some on hand just in case. Good luck!

lilirose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just for future reference, Furan-2 has done wonders for me and my fish that have suffered any body wounds. If there is visible body damage that will not heal well or fast on its own I use Furan-2 for 6 days, total of 3 doses, and they are good as new. I have had fish that i thought were beyond help and Furan-2 brought them back even better than before. I would always keep some on hand just in case. Good luck!
Unfortunately, the product you mention is illegal for sale in the UK, where the OP lives, as it's an antibiotic. This info might be useful to anyone in the US who reads this post, though.

KelRednip

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Albus decided to give up fighting tonight.
I'm heartbroken.
Honestly thank you to everyone who's given advice on here, you have all been fantastic & I really appreciate it.

Screenshot_20190620_204808.jpg Screenshot_20190620_204647.jpg

lilirose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm so sorry for your loss. He was really beautiful. Hope we will see you here again one day.

ap4lmtree

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You took care of him for 1.5 years, which is longer than most my betta fishes have lived. Within the last two years, I have had 13 bettas -- multiple at a time, including 4 right now --, so I have had 9 have died within the last two years. Your betta lived longer than almost all my 9, so you treated him well and he lived a long life compared me and mine at least.

Some of my bettas had very unique personalities that it is difficult if not impossible to find even fragments in other betta fish. I am grateful that I have smartphone pictures and videos to help me remember my time with them though.

I'm sorry that he could not be saved and he did not survive. I was rooting for him, and I had hoped he would make it.

KelRednip

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you!
I have one boy who I've currently had for 2years 4months, so he'll be roughly just over 2 1/2, he's from a pet shop so no idea his age who I got him. He's a proper old boy now rests most of the day & you have to give him time to wake up befire feeding him.
I currently keep 5 well 4 now, all pets no breeding. All have different personalities.
Albus was my Mr Happy & would always greet me, so I'll miss that.

lilirose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you!
I have one boy who I've currently had for 2years 4months, so he'll be roughly just over 2 1/2, he's from a pet shop so no idea his age who I got him. He's a proper old boy now rests most of the day & you have to give him time to wake up befire feeding him.
I currently keep 5 well 4 now, all pets no breeding. All have different personalities.
Albus was my Mr Happy & would always greet me, so I'll miss that.
I'm so glad to hear that he wasn't your only Betta. They all have unique personalities, like you said, and cannot be replaced- but hopefully the others will help keep your spirits up.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom