Betta with a red sore, please help!!

1. Fawntasy

Fawntasy New Member Member

Hello~

I saw this betta at the store a few days ago. I had been going every day to see when they would get a new stock of bettas in, but grew fond of this one. I almost took him the first time, but saw he had a red welt near his eye, and decided not to. After 3 days of checking, I grew fond of him and decided to take him. It doesn't appear to have gotten much worse, if it all, over the 4 days I've known of him.

So I just got him home and set up. My tank isn't very big, as I'm a bit new to this. I had another betta that died of what appeared to be Dropsy after about 4 months.

Any idea what this red sore is on the new better, and how to help him?

I have:
    Melafix
    Pimafix
    Herbtana
    Epsom Salt

I put 1/4 teaspoon of Melafix in the tank.
    I'll be getting some Aquarium Salt at the store tomorrow
    EDIT: I just read Aquarium Salt has no place in a freshwater tank?? I was told on bettafish.com to use AQ.

(Sorry for so many photos. Just trying to get the most helpful shot of it I can!)

Attached Files:

2. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Please, please, please don't use pimafix/melafix/bettafix! They contain melaleuca oil, which causes the labyrinth organ to expand, suffocating the fish. Aquarium salt is bad as well, if overdosed or left in too long it can cause liver and kidney failure.
    I would try daily 50% water changes, it doesn't look to bad. You may need to try a medicine if it doesn't start improving soon.
    Welcome to the forum:)

3. OP
    OP
    Fawntasy

Oh no!! I put in the 1/4 teaspoon Melafix. Will he be ok??
    Why would they sell that for bettas if it does that!! ;0;

4. Flowingfins

I would do a large water change, just to dilute it. With daily water changes it should be bout of the water soon.
    What size tank is he in?
    They want money, if it says "heals betta fish" people will buy it, just like they sell bowls for bettas.

5. OP
    OP
    Fawntasy

It's 2.5 gallons. How much conditioner should I put in the water when I change it?

Thank you so much~! <3

EDIT: I did a 75% water change. How much and how often should I be doing water changes?

6. Flowingfins

What conditioner are you using? I recommend seachem prime.
    I would be doing 25-50% changes daily.

7. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Does your tank have a filter and heater?

Congratulations on your new betta and welcome to the forum by the way!

8. AshleyBetta

AshleyBetta Well Known Member Member

It looks to me like he is just missing a few scales. Any medication could irritate the open wound, so the best medicine for right now is just clean water! Keep up on the water changes and the little guy should be better in no time :)

Good luck and keep us posted!

9. OP
    OP
    Fawntasy

Thank you, guys~! <3

10. Flowingfins

No problem:)

11. OP
    OP
    Fawntasy

Oh! Aqua, yes, there is a filter and a heater~

12. Aquaphobia

Good to hear:)

13. OP
    OP
    Fawntasy

Here's a few more angles of it as well.

Attached Files:

14. Aquaphobia

Oh my, that does look irritated! Is there a hole in the middle of the sore?

15. OP
    OP
    Fawntasy

It looks like there might be a little one, yes. But it hasn't really gotten bigger since I first noticed him at the pet store about 4 days ago. He's really active and curious, but doesn't seem hungry yet. I offered an Omega one pellet and he spit it out.

16. Aquaphobia

I'm not surprised. I've had bettas refuse even the tastiest morsels for up to a week after bringing them home! It won't hurt him and he'll eat when he's ready:)

For now, not knowing what it is, I would just do frequent water changes with Prime and see how it develops. Hopefully someone who's seen something like it before will come along and give you better advice:-\

17. OP
    OP
    Fawntasy

I'm sorry to ask, but what is Prime??
    Also, I use an Aqueon water conditioner, though I'm not sure how much goes into a 2.5 gallon tank of water, tbh..

18. Flowingfins

Prime is a water conditioner, it is 2 drops per gallon, so you would need 5 drops. You can add up to 5x the amount though. I use a needle less syringe with mine.

19. OP
    OP
    Fawntasy

Thank you! Is the Aqueon I have an OK substitute for now??

20. Aquaphobia

I think the Aqueon water conditioner does most if not all of the same things that Prime does but it's not as concentrated so you need to use a lot more. What does the label say?