Betta Window Surfing

MSOCA

hello, I’m a new Betta fish owner and I’m really worried because all Luffy (my Betta) has been doing is window surfing for the past two days. I got him about 4 days ago and have been monitoring ammonia levels (about 0.25ppm) and changing the water frequently to keep him comfortable. Last night he stayed up half the night window surfing in the dark. I have him inside of a 10 gallon tank with some decorations for him to hide in and an amazon sword. No white spots or stress stripes that I can see. Please help!

CheshireKat

You mean glass surfing? Unless he's got a window in his tank?
I think it took a week for my male to settle down. I know it's distressing to see but sometimes they do that for some time before finally chilling out. Just keep up with water changes to remove the ammonia until the tank is cycled and let him do his thing. Make sure there's not decor too close to the glass. I believe my male betta scraped his eye on a lava rock near the glass (I removed the rock after his eye got infected as it's very rough).

MSOCA

Yeah, it’s very upsetting to see him all stressed out. That makes sense though, Ben must just be getting used to a new environment. I was just worried he was sick because the pet store I got him from wasn’t the best. They kept him in a tank with other fish and he’s missing a piece of his left fin

pagoda

Mine has only been in his new home for a few days and is spending a lot of time by the glass panels (my aquarium is a hexagonal), he is patrolling, occasionally sees his own reflection and it either spooks him or he flares at himself. All of my fish acted in a similar way when first introduced to their aquariums, takes anything from a few days to a couple weeks or so to settle down and get into a routine, every fish is different with varying characteristics and temperment etc

MSOCA

Mine has only been in his new home for a few days and is spending a lot of time by the glass panels (my aquarium is a hexagonal), he is patrolling, occasionally sees his own reflection and it either spooks him or he flares at himself. All of my fish acted in a similar way when first introduced to their aquariums, takes anything from a few days to a couple weeks or so to settle down and get into a routine, every fish is different with varying characteristics and temperment etc

Okay that makes me feel way better to know that it’s something normal. I just wish he wasn’t so stressed out. I try to keep the lights on my tank to a minimum because I think it causes a bad reflection inside for him. He used to flair his gills, but he hasn’t in awhile.

Debbie1986

I love it when they flare. it's good for them and a way to communicate. I talk to mine & will put my finger on glass, they flare, no real aggression just a display

Hope you Betta settles in

MSOCA

Thank youu! This morning he came up to the front of the tank when I walked up to it to say hello. Good signs ☺️ I think he just needs to get used to this ranks lighting compared to a fish store

Aprilamy

It’s sounds like he is still settling in

pagoda

Something else to consider is that where your fish came from might not have had a lot of human interaction, the lighting & noises around them is probably different to what the fish is used to as well.

It can take time for fish to not just get used to what is inside their aquarium with them but also what's going on outside it too....if at the supplier they were in a quiet area and now in your home its busy with people, other animals etc it takes time to adjust, just like we humans when we move to a new home, fish are no different to any other animal.

MSOCA

Yes, that’s very true! I changed the light to a white light that’s much more like the ones they use in pet stores and he’s a lot calmer now. He’s actually been swimming around in the plants and the decorations as well as eating more

Debbie1986

That's wonderful!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AquaticQueen
Replies
Views
Sokamix
5 Gallon Tank Betta and nerite?
Replies
Views