Betta Will Only Eat Goldfish Flakes

binji

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
guitar is like. a voracious eater. he swims up to me every time I come into the room because he thinks I'm going to feed him, but the thing is that he will absolutely not touch anything that isn't goldfish flakes.
ive bought him aqueon pellets and bettamin and he will not eat either, not even the lil shrimp in bettamin and I have no clue what to do. I don't know the nutritional value or brand of the flakes because I got them from a friend and I worry about him.
how can I make him eat the food made for him?

goplecos

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You really don't need to worry. Back when I was a beginner and I had Just Goldfish and Bettas, they all got goldfish flakes and the bettas lived happily for over 5 years. Betta pellets are over rated. My current Betta gets high quality tropical fish flakes and is super happy with them.

OP
binji

binji

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ive had him for 2 weeks now I think, maybe 3

goplecos said:
You really don't need to worry. Back when I was a beginner and I had Just Goldfish and Bettas, they all got goldfish flakes and the bettas lived happily for over 5 years. Betta pellets are over rated. My current Betta gets high quality tropical fish flakes and is super happy with them.
that's really good to know actually! thank you

fishgame6

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
to be honest just do what they said up there maybe try blood worms tho

OP
binji

binji

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
fishgame6 said:
to be honest just do what they said up there maybe try blood worms tho
I'm trying to get him some treats but honestly theyre expensive and he hasnt taken to anything else so idk

fishgame6

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
binji said:
I'm trying to get him some treats but honestly theyre expensive and he hasnt taken to anything else so idk
you can get something at stores its called dial a treat has blood worms daphinia and mysis all dehydrated costs 5$

OP
binji

binji

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
fishgame6 said:
you can get something at stores its called dial a treat has blood worms daphinia and mysis all dehydrated costs 5$
after reading the reviews on this and knowing what a picky eater he is, ill still probably just invest in a little bottle of bloodworms when I can, but thank you!

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with goplecos, betta pellets are over rated. lol. I have a floater who can not eat them unless they are soaked. If not, I'll be doing epsom salt baths in the morning.
I found a betta flake made my National Geographic that saves me the soaking. I think your guy would probably eat those as well. Pellets and flakes are not complete. My bettas get 2 thawed frozen blood worms once a week, 3 thawed frozen brine shrimp once a week, and they are fasted one day a week. All other days they are given 3 pellets. They are never given treats. Treats? Don't get that at all. I have seen too many fat, sick, bettas on here.

OP
binji

binji

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
KimberlyG said:
I agree with goplecos, betta pellets are over rated. lol. I have a floater who can not eat them unless they are soaked. If not, I'll be doing epsom salt baths in the morning.
I found a betta flake made my National Geographic that saves me the soaking. I think your guy would probably eat those as well. Pellets and flakes are not complete. My bettas get 2 thawed frozen blood worms once a week, 3 thawed frozen brine shrimp once a week, and they are fasted one day a week. All other days they are given 3 pellets. They are never given treats. Treats? Don't get that at all. I have seen too many fat, sick, bettas on here.
I didnt mean treat treats, just that the bloodworms and such are more viewed as such. thank you for the advice though! ill look into the national geographic food and will try to get bloodworms asap, but I kind of rely on my mom to get me his food and such and shes kind of Done with buying him things as of right now

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
binji said:
I didnt mean treat treats, just that the bloodworms and such are more viewed as such. thank you for the advice though! ill look into the national geographic food and will try to get bloodworms asap, but I kind of rely on my mom to get me his food and such and shes kind of Done with buying him things as of right now
Ahhh...I hear that. If it is only betta flakes, he will do okay. (The mix is actually better for them but we all do the best we can.) If you do have the ability to get one...get frozen blood worms that come in a sheet. You can break a little off and thaw them. (Even though I have 6 bettas, I waste a LOT of bloodworms with the frozen cubes. I've gone to sheets.)

New Threads