Betta White Rice Poop, Ammonia 1.0

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Jrod86, Apr 12, 2018.

1. J

Jrod86 New Member Member

So we got our Betta into a new uncycled 3gl tank yesterday, used perfect start day one in tank and everything has been great until literally 10min ago when we noticed she has a white stingy thing that wasn't there before as we check her out pretty often because she's new so we are just wondering what you guys think?

Otherwise she's been active, she just started flaring today and has been doing it quite a bit the last few hours so not sure as she hasn't flair at all before (she's only 7-8 weeks)

I got a master kit before they closed today but didn't use it yet was going to do it in the morning.

Attached Files:

2. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

You mean white stringy poop?
    If that is case i will just copy same answer from other post with same issue that i answered in a minute.

Feed them with blanched frozen peas (google it or watch on youtube how to prepare).
    I give my fish peas dipped in garlic juice once a week, just for immunity and digestive regulation.

If after that you have same symptoms after few days it's internal parasites and you should medicate them for that.

Just monitor it too se is there a change, no need for panicking.

Btw. you need to remove skin from peas.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2018
  3. OP
    OP
    J

Jrod86 New Member Member

Well I fed her a 1/2 pea last Wed, so 7 days ago, and then did the same today, only thing she's eaten today. Otherwise been feeding her flakes one day and flakes the next.

But right now yea she's swimming around aggresive and flaring and is just . First time she acted like this since we had her. We just turned off her hood light to see maybe if she'd calm down

I think it's poop, I dunno, it's coming from her front under fins and is just stuck to her. We're really new to this. Like I said it just kinda showed up in the last hour, it's stuck and she's acting mad

4. appcontrol

I just can't see anything from this picture.
    Bettas are aggressive sp. so i think it's normal to flare sometimes. If it's poop then just wait see if it will repeat tomorrow and day after that. If it's repeat and you are sure it's a poop i would give her meds for internal parasites, but please check on internet how to dose it, what to do, review of brand etc.

You could give her today just peas and mabey tomorrow without flakes for this 2 days.

5. OP
    OP
    J

Jrod86 New Member Member

Okay so now it's gone, so. I'm guessing poop is there a problem with it being white?

6. appcontrol

Constipation probably

7. OP
    OP
    J

Jrod86 New Member Member

If you look at her bottom two red fins, to the Er right of the right fin it's clear, that's what she had. Was very hard to see in pictures.

Do you say this because it's no longer hanging there? Like if it was parasites it would still be there? Constipated poop is just white?

Sorry just trying to understand :)

8. appcontrol

Its not that big parasite for sure
    White stringy poop is symptom of:
    1. Internal parasites
    2. Constipation because of let's say bad diet

So first we go and cure easyest thing without medicine, if it goes on like that for few days then it is probably parasite and we cure that with medicine.

9. OP
    OP
    J

Jrod86 New Member Member

Okay, so we just keep a very close eye on her to see when she poops again? To see if it's white? She's in a new 3.5 tank, its pretty big so we just gotta pay really Close attention I guess?

10. appcontrol

Yes thats first thing you can do for first few days.

Good luck in aquarium hobby

11. OP
    OP
    J

Jrod86 New Member Member

Also I guess I'd describe it looked like a grain of rice

Anyways im gonna get some rest, I'll do a full water test when I wake up, report the results here, and keep her on pea for the next two days.

Would you say half of a pea per 24 hours?

12. appcontrol

It probably looked similar to this?
    Bite or two should be enough, if you see poop gets better after first feeding then therw is no need to feed her peas again.

Attached Files:

13. OP
    OP
    J

Jrod86 New Member Member

Oh no looked nothing like that, was maybe a half inch long and looked like she was pooping a single grain of rice.

I just got up, gonna get everything tested and I'll report back

14. J

Jaden New Member Member

"White Feces/Long Stringy Poop inFish. ... However, most of the time, the lumpy and/or white stringy feces (or sometimes even yellow poop) in discus fish is a sign of fecal disorders such as internal diseases and in particular, parasitic infections."
    Source: 

I copy this form a website becausr it will explain what it is better than i would i know what the problem is but this explains it well

It would be anything tho but my main thought was an internal parisite infection

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2018
  15. OP
    OP
    J

Jrod86 New Member Member

After seeing the pics you guys posted stringy is the wrong word. Just looked like she pooped a grain of rice, I was just super concerned as she was passing it because it took 30min or so for it to go away.

16. appcontrol

I would wait day or two to see will it repeat if it repeats, go to local fish store and ask for medicine for internal parasites then that should help.

Best thing would be if you have quarantine tank to treat it there with medicine.

If not after you finish with medication put carbon foam or carbon in your filter for few days so you can remove extra meds from tank.

17. OP
    OP
    J

Jrod86 New Member Member

Okay so this tank is almost 48 hours old (about 40) we set it up with perfect start, witch on day on is quick start, stress coat and aquarium salt. Jaws lived in a cube for the first week we had her and now she's in the new tank.

Here are the readings
    Temp 78-80 (no heater)
    PH 8.0-8.2
    Ammonia 0.5-1 (was really in between the two)
    Nitrate 0
    Nitrite 0
    Filter is a top fin element

She's been on mainly a Flake food diet once a day because she's so small the pellets looked huge, seams after reading a bit flakes weren't a great idea. I just fed her less then half a pea for second day in a row. Well watch her see what happens she's also been her normal self just swimming around, no flaring or crazy swimming.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  18. OP
    OP
    J

Jrod86 New Member Member

Yea i have a 0.75 cube I could use If that's not. To small

19. appcontrol

You didn't cycle a tank first and you are doing fish in cycle?

Ok ammonia is very poisonous for fish you should do water change and dose prime. And do that every day until you have stable tank.

1 ammonia or nitrite or if ammonia + nitrite is 1 that's time fir alarm

20. OP
    OP
    J

Jrod86 New Member Member

We had her in a little cube for a week and was told we could put her in the new 3.5 tank with out cycling it because the cube wasn't cycled either, we have only had the fish 10 days. Told to use quick start and get a test kit,

im going to be doing a water change, do I change water first then dose with prime? And how much water change 25%? Or 50% because it's high?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice