Betta vs honey gourami

SpeedyFish

I currently have a 40 gallon tank stocked with 11 ember tetras, 10 cardinal tetras, and 5 oto catfish. I'm looking to add a top swimmer to my tank. I can't decide which would be a better fit a betta or honey gourami. I can easily find a betta, but they're always stuck in small cups in Petsmart/Petco and i don't want to possible pick a sick fish. Honey Gourami on the other hand are much harder to find.

BigManAquatics

Or a school of danios for a top swimmmer. Either way, i would quarantine whatever you get. And i know a lot of people seem to not do this, but it is OK to be picky and inspect a fish at the store to increase your chances of bringing home the healthiest fish possible.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I'd suggest a small to medium sized group of honey gouramis instead of a single one. The ability to have more than one is an advantage they have over a betta. With honeys there's also very little risk they'll be aggressive toward the other fish in the tank.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

I would also suggest honey gouramis. Bettas also like low flow and unless you’re running a sponge filter it’s hard to get that in a 40 gallon

Upvote 0

SpeedyFish

Or a school of danios for a top swimmmer. Either way, i would quarantine whatever you get. And i know a lot of people seem to not do this, but it is OK to be picky and inspect a fish at the store to increase your chances of bringing home the healthiest fish possible.

I would love to quarantine any new fish, but unfortunately I have no space for quarantine tank. Luckily I haven’t had to deal with disease in my tank.

I'd suggest a small to medium sized group of honey gouramis instead of a single one. The ability to have more than one is an advantage they have over a betta. With honeys there's also very little risk they'll be aggressive toward the other fish in the tank.

I would probably get three or four 1 male to 2 or 3 females.

I would also suggest honey gouramis. Bettas also like low flow and unless you’re running a sponge filter it’s hard to get that in a 40 gallon

I hope my flow isn’t too strong. I have a fluval 406 with a sponge on the intake and outtake flow and still have some decent amount of current. But if my ember tetras can handle it, I would think it would be no problem for a honey gourami

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Your Embers dont swim the top of the tank?

Upvote 0

SpeedyFish

Your Embers dont swim the top of the tank?

not really. Only time they swim around the top is when they think they’re getting food. Most time they hang around the middle or lower parts of the tank

Upvote 0

StarGirl

not really. Only time they swim around the top is when they think they’re getting food. Most time they hang around the middle or lower parts of the tank
Mine are always up top. Maybe the Cardinals push them up there.....lol

Upvote 0

SpeedyFish

Mine are always up top. Maybe the Cardinals push them up there.....lol

My cardinals are always at the lower parts of the tank, sometimes harassing my oto catfish

Upvote 0

Bettatakeover

I have both in my 40G. 3 adult honeys and 3 babies along with a female betta. I would be hard pressed to tell you which is my favourite. The honeys are so graceful and fun to watch (super peaceful) but the betta definitely has more personality (and the occasional feisty day).

They are in there with 10 cardinals, 8 rummynose, 7 panda cories and 1 female Bolivian.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
  • Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa