Betta very lazy/not himself, need help!

CopperIsEpiK

I have had my Betta (Copper) for 10 months. Moved him to a new tank in February.
Tankmates: 3 Black Neon Tetra, 1 Common Pleco, 1 Albino Cory, 1 Nerite snail
Tank: 10gal
Parameters: 8.0pH, 0Nitrate, 0Nitrite, 0.25Ammonia
Feeding: Every few days, mostly daily
Food: Flakes, Pellets, and frozen Bloodworms
Maintenance: Siphon gravel weekly
Filter: Biosponge, dunno gUS
He has places to lay down on the surface
Symptoms: He sleeps all day, gasping for air, unresponsive, lazy, doesn't swim around. He used to swim around the tank like crazy, playing with the tetra, etc. I've noticed his fins are slightly rugged and ripped, but I don't think it's fin rot.
Don't have any pictures. Anything can help.

Noroomforshoe

It sounds like your betta is succumbing to the effects of bad water quality.
Your tank is uncycled and poorly stocked.

Albino cories can grow over 3 inches, they need to be in a school of 8 or more in a 30-gallon tank or larger.

Common pleco can get to 24 inches, even as a baby, it will have a huge impact on the biolode of an aquarium.

Black neons should be in a group of 8 or more in a 20-gallon tank or larger. The betta is not playing with them, the betta is trying to eat them.

It will be nearly impossible to cycle your tank with the fish that are in it. And all of your fish are breathing toxic ammonia in the uncycled tank.

Please consider rehoming, separating, and possibly returning some of these fish. Then activly do a fish in cycle for the fish that you have left.

Flyfisha

Hi CopperIsEpik
Welcome to fishlore.

The reading in the water test of zero nitrates indicates the tank does not have a full working nitrogen cycle. Especially with the current stocking. The tank does not have good bacteria in it ON the filter.

CopperIsEpiK

Hello,
I know about cories and tetra being in large groups, I'm planning on buying more soon. Nitrates are about 10-12 i think, I got confused with Nitrites for a second.
I have been thinking of moving my Betta back to his old tank, which would free up some stocking space. I have been working on fixing the tank cycled, can't find out much, though.
When we set up the tank, we did it right then and there, with a cycled filter. I had help because i didnt know what I was doing. My fish were fine until up about a month ago.
BTW I thought Plecos only grew to the size the tank would let them.?

Noroomforshoe

I suggest you get a 30 gallon tank for the black neons and the cories, Wait until it is completely cycled and then add more of each.
Leave the betta in the ten gallon.
Give the pleco to someone with a pond.

what do you mean when you said " cant find out much" ? Ask us anything, we are here to help! And Welcome to fishlore!

CopperIsEpiK

I dont know anyone with a pond. I really want to keep him, but where? I dont know how to properly cycle a tank, and I know close to nothing on filtration. Thats kinda what i meant

sunflower430

Please go do a water change immediately before reading/learning more! Gotta get that ammonia down if you want them to survive. Do you have a water conditioner like Seachem Prime you could use to lock up some of the ammonia as well?

CopperIsEpiK

Please go do a water change immediately before reading/learning more! Gotta get that ammonia down if you want them to survive. Do you have a water conditioner like Seachem Prime you could use to lock up some of the ammonia as well?
No. I only have Betta Bowl Plus. The tank has a good amount of plants aswell. The ammonia has always been that way. I read somewhere on here that API ammonia tests are false, and my readings are the same as what they said. Still dont know if thats what it is. Thanks!

sunflower430

No. I only have Betta Bowl Plus. The tank has a good amount of plants aswell. The ammonia has always been that way. I read somewhere on here that API ammonia tests are false, and my readings are the same as what they said. Still dont know if thats what it is. Thanks!
If you test your tap water does it also show 0.25? The fact that you have zero nitrates also is a fed flag your cycle is not established

CopperIsEpiK

If you test your tap water does it also show 0.25? The fact that you have zero nitrates also is a fed flag your cycle is not established
I have not tested the tap water. I havent checked nitrates in a bit, but i believe they were around 5-10.
Btw, something happened about 3 months back that mightve affected the tank.
I had 5 Neon Tetra beforehand. I bought some Black Neons and an albino cory. One of the Black Neons was super bloated, and died the next night. However, even after he was removed, he took out every one of my Neons, and killed 2 Black Neons. The tank was heavily medicated afterward, but i'm afraid it messed the cycle up.

sunflower430

Well if you are not sure on your current numbers or the accuracy of the test kit, based on your fish's symptoms alone, I'd still recommend a water change ASAP. It's really the best (maybe only? if you don't have other tanks or meds or info) course of action you have. Have you checked to make sure the water temp is ok?

CopperIsEpiK

Yes. Water temp is 76-79, almost always. I used API General Care, and Ich-X. I'm kinda concerned, cuz hes been showing those symptoms for about a month now, even after numerous water changes.

sunflower430

Maybe you could fill out the full emergency template so all the info is in one spot. Did he have ich?

Noroomforshoe

No fish only grow to the size of the tank. Some fish will get stunted/deformed and die early and small. SORRY, I am not trying to sound rude. It is unfortunate that petstore sell fish that get to large for comman tank sizes. I had one in a 30 gallon when I was just starting, I loved that fish, And I was trying to rehome him "no craigslist back then" he died before I found him a home. I suggest you try to rehome him on craigslist, and ask for proof of a propper home. "a 72 inch long tank or larger or a pond!

Soo, what kind of filter/ filters do you have?

CopperIsEpiK

ok, i might start to look for that..
I have a biosponge, dunno the brand. Based on the size I think its either 10-15~gUS

Noroomforshoe

Yes. Water temp is 76-79, almost always. I used API General Care, and Ich-X. I'm kinda concerned, cuz hes been showing those symptoms for about a month now, even after numerous water changes.
You should have a better, more stable heater, bettas are tropical fish, and so are the others, the temp should not shift that much, it should stay at 78-80 degrees,

CopperIsEpiK

It stays almost exclusively in that range. I dont know why I said 76-79, its never that low. Sorry for le misunderstanding

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Pythia
Replies
Views
CatBo
Replies
Views
Crimson_687
Replies
Views