Betta Ventral Fin Torn Off

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by BrightSound, Apr 16, 2017.

1. BrightSoundNew MemberMember

IMG_0845.JPGIMG_0848.JPG Hi Everyone. I have a six month old halfmoon betta. It appears his ventral fin has been ripped right off. My tank is a 46 gallon bow front. It has been running for 8 months. (Cycled for 2 months before adding fish) I do weekly 25% water changes every weekend. All parameters are PERFECT. Ammonia, nitrites are 0 and nitrates 10. Anyway, yesterday I decided to do a 50% water change and rescape my tank. My guess is that a rock may have fallen on him last night and pinned him down. Not 100% sure though. He's in rough shape and would really appreciate any help. Is there anything I can do for him? Thanks everyone. I'll post pictures if I can figure out how.

2. Ed204

Ed204Well Known MemberMember

Hi there,
    Is there anything else in the tank with him? (your current stocking in the tank).

Your best bet is to monitor him closely to make sure it doesn't get worse. His tail should grow back in a matter of weeks with clean water and no further disturbance.

3. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

How is he behaving? Can he still swim? I would move him to a smaller hospital tank just to keep a good eye on him. You want to be sure there are no signs of infection. Plus with a smaller tank he won't have to work so hard to get to the top for breathing. It's going to hard for him to swim bigger distances.

4. OP
    OP
    B

BrightSoundNew MemberMember

He does have tank mates. 8 neons 8 pristella tetras, one bristlenose pleco and one red tail shark. I know about the red flags, but I always monitor my fish and have seen no signs of aggression or fin nipping from the tetras. Unfortunately, I do not have another tank to hospitalize him, I have another betta using my 5 gallon. He does swim a little to get air and he's still eating.

5. adh/smile

adh/smileWell Known MemberMember

Hi, I am so sorry to hear about your betta!!! Poor guy. His fin will grow back in a couple weeks if you keep the water clean and watch out for infection.

Your stalking sounds fine even though there are those red flags. Your tank is big enough for all those fish (lucky, I wish mine was:p) And if you have a lot of hiding places for your fish it sounds like a very great set up!

If you have a betta in a 5 gallon and the one in your 47 gallon is needing the 5, you can switch betta homes. Unless, you have the one in the 5 because he has aggressive issues and won't go well with other fish. I don't know what your betta's "personalities" are.

I really hope this helps and your betta gets better!!!!

6. OP
    OP
    B

BrightSoundNew MemberMember

Hey, thank you for the advise. Funny, didn't even cross my mind to switch homes. Sadly, there are two things keeping me from doing it, I don't know how the one would do in a community tank and how he would do being alone again after being switched back. I guess I'll watch and wait to see how he does. I'm thinking of doing 25% water changes daily until he is fully recovered. Would that be better or worse for him?

7. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Definitely better for him. Keeping the water as clean as possible will prevent any infection and promote healing. Glad he is doing ok so far. PetCo is having their $1 per gallon sale right now, maybe pick up a spare tank while they are so cheap? Just to have a backup.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice