Help Betta type and rot or biting?

JamieLu

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I got this beautiful betta a few weeks ago and he was in rough shape, but has been coming around nicely with a 15gal to himself ( and 2 snails) I was wondering what kind he is and why his fins are the way they are. He has huge fins, poor guy, so I don't know if hes biting them or if its rot? They have gotten worse, with a clear split in his caudal fin, but his other fins are unaffected. All his fins do slightly curl also. I have been using a small amount of aquarium salt, but not the recommended dose since I have a mystery snail in there. Anyway, here he is...thanks all 20200227_180610.jpgsorry my camera sucks and hes fast. Also, our water is so hard here so there's constant water stains everywhere

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
At first glance it looks a bit more like finrot than biting to me- though it could really be either. Treating the damage from either is basically the same though- keeping the water clean. Temporarily doing more frequent and/or larger water changes is a good idea to consider as well. If you have gravel and don't already vacuum it consider trying that out.

If he is biting his tail there are a few ways you can attempt to stop or at least lessen it. The easiest way is to every so often move some things around- helps keeps things interesting.

He's a betta splendens with the halfmoon tail type. Biting is common with them because of the size of their tail and how it can weigh them down a bit, so if it is biting you may not be fully able to stop him from doing it.

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It could be both rot and nipping, though from that shot I’d say rot with some other damage. Maybe caught it on wood or decor?

Always recommend the aquarium salt, rehome the snail temp to up the dose in my opinion - although others say mystery’s do fine with aquarium salt.
And add tannins. Rooibos tea, Indian almond leaves or monkeypods.

Definitely keep the water clean!

New Threads