Help Betta turning white?

Kaitlynn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’ve had him at least a year and a half approaching two years he is in a five gallon hexagon shaped tank with plants he is eating and swimming fine and seems happy but for some reason around his top fin and back he is completely loosing his color. It doesn’t seem like there is anything on him I can still see his scale patterns and such it’s just white now where it used to be blue. His belly isn’t swollen and he doesn’t seem stressed so I was hoping someone might have some insight on what could be making him change. (When I first got him he did have some white on him but it disappeared as he grew) I will try and get pictures later but I noticed it when I was leaving the house and he was being too active to get a picture to focus.

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
By the sounds of it I would assume it's just normal colour changing. Most store bought bettas have a gene in their lineage that causes their colours and patterns to change referred to as the marble gene. In some fish it causes almost continuous changing but in others there can be months or even a year or two between visible changes.

I would still keep an eye on it and keep track of how hes acting just to be extra safe though.

OP
Kaitlynn

Kaitlynn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you I’ll keep watch this makes me feel a lot better though

mrsP

Reaction score
With mine it was the other way around, bought white betta, and two weeks later I had blue ( as my profile picture). So yes, it can chage a lot.

New Threads