Betta Turning White Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by kavashy, Apr 11, 2018.

1. k

kavashy New Member Member

My betta is turning white. It started from behind his gills and is moving backwards. The white portion is all white with a pinkish tint and appears to be the same texture as the rest of his body. (no flakiness or chipping). I got my betta Kenji about 3 weeks ago. He is in a Top Fin 5.5 gallon tank with a heater. The tank was cycled before I got him. I created a baffle to lower the filter current and he doesn't seem to have problems swimming.

Water quality: 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, below 5 Nitrate, Temp: 79F

He had a stressful first week because he flared constantly at his reflection in the tank. I eventually figured out that I could stop the flaring by adding white paper to the back of the tank. So now he acts normally. I'm just checking to see if he is marbling due to the initial stress (I heard stress can cause that), or should I be worried. He is active and eats normally. His primary food is Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets and Frozen Bloodworms twice a week as a treat.

I had to use my kindle to take the second picture since I dropped my phone in paint :(

Betta1.jpg
    Betta2.jpg

2. Buganjimo

Buganjimo Well Known Member Member

Is the patch fuzzy? If it is, it may be fungus, if not, he’s probably marbling and it’s nothing to be worried about. You sound very prepared for this fish, good job :D

3. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

Also, fuzzy is fugal, patchy white film is usually bacterial. Can you get a better side pic?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2018
  4. OP
    OP
    k

The white patch doesn't appear to be fuzzy. I hope I'm just being paranoid.

I'll try and borrow someone's phone in the morning to get a better shot.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2018
  5. Buganjimo

Buganjimo Well Known Member Member

I think so, keep us updated if he marbles, I find it so fascinating! (Also looooook I learned how to add a quote on the website on my phone yipee)

6. OP
    OP
    k

I tried catching a better picture. He's a pretty fast little guy and zips away whenever I try to take a shot. He's definitely not acting sick. IMG_20180412_075623.jpg IMG_20180412_075625.jpg IMG_20180412_080149.jpg

7. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

Doesn't look like a disease from the side pictures and the discription does indeed sound like a color change. Did he happen to be red before he started changing color? It seems that reds sometimes wash out and turn into a different color more than blues do.

8. aBettaNamedRoy

aBettaNamedRoy Valued Member Member

It seems like a color change to me, as marbled bettas often have white mixed in with other colors. If he appears to be acting normal, he likely is okay. Though I wouldn't rule illness off the table completely, but I don't think you have to worry. I added some pictures of marbled bettas that I found on the internet below for your reference. Marbled bettas' colors are often in constant fluctuation.
    blue-pink-marble-plakat-betta-2.jpg marbled.jpg

9. OP
    OP
    k

He started out a emerald green/blue color with a red tail. the white seems to be turning a bit brown at the edges, so I'm guessing he may end up red.

Thanks for all the help. I guess I'll just take the wait and see approach.

10. Hunterhusker

Hunterhusker Valued Member Member

My current male betta is that color on almost his whole body and he is doing great. However I have noticed my female has a dot if it on her head.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice