Betta turning grey help?!

Kelsprincess

Why does my betta all of a sudden have a grey looking beard and up to his eye area it has been like that for 3 days? Is this normal? Why does he like to stay around the heater? He doesn’t swim as much as he used to. I did do a 25% water change after I noticed this in his 5gallon aquarium Took 2 gallons out and used prime.
6651D4CD-637E-45AE-8CCE-A612FA397C8F.jpeg
4A3344B6-C0BF-43BB-9185-086B27B0BBF1.jpeg
BD8D3D86-B8E1-42C5-9DC6-593EA84D6739.jpeg
63BC5FB6-3B8D-44D7-B1A8-1161ABBB90B2.jpeg
F03C0D3E-4E8B-4B92-84B0-AD32CA0BE39D.jpeg

Crimson_687

Is that white patch on his head missing scales? Did he hurt himself? Does it seem infected? Is there anything in the tank that can hurt him?

The grey is likely a sign of stress. What are your parameters? What is the temperature and is it constant? If he’s staying near his heater, it’s likely the heater is not heating the whole tank evenly or is too weak and so your fish is staying in the warmer area. You should have a thermometer in the tank opposite to your heater. What do you feed him? Diet is a critical part to their overall health

Upvote 0

swimmingslowly

I’m having a similar issue! I’ve had him for 2 weeks and his head was like this when I got him.

Attachments

• D5B883C7-3618-4EB4-8421-FE260D801B5A.jpeg
    D5B883C7-3618-4EB4-8421-FE260D801B5A.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 5C994F17-DCF5-4348-930E-783EBF19CD00.jpeg
    5C994F17-DCF5-4348-930E-783EBF19CD00.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 33
Upvote 0

Crimson_687

Bettas are quite adventurous, and just like any other fish, they may lose a few scales if they get stuck somewhere or squeeze themself into somewhere they shouldn’t. A few scales here and there is fine, they’ll heal on their own, but a large patch or where bare skin is exposed is a bit worrisome as it can serve as an area for a fungal or bacterial infections to take hold. Usually they heal on their own, but in the pic shown by the OP it looks like there might be some white growth there, I can’t tell. The key to preventing infection is low stress and good water quality, when conditions for the fish are optimal the fish won’t get infected

Upvote 0

Kelsprincess

Is that white patch on his head missing scales? Did he hurt himself? Does it seem infected? Is there anything in the tank that can hurt him?

The grey is likely a sign of stress. What are your parameters? What is the temperature and is it constant? If he’s staying near his heater, it’s likely the heater is not heating the whole tank evenly or is too weak and so your fish is staying in the warmer area. You should have a thermometer in the tank opposite to your heater. What do you feed him? Diet is a critical part to their overall health
Hi Crimson, my betta is missing scales on top of his head where it is white. He was like that when I got him it doesn’t seem to effect him.I haven’t seen him hurt himself at least not that I know of and no and I don’t think so but u can check out my aquarium picture. My Ph=7.6 Ammonia=2.0 Nitrite=0 Nitrate=5.0 The temperature of the tank is 80f & stays constant. I feed him OmegaOne Betta Buffet flakes and sometimes Tetramin mini Betta pellets.

Upvote 0

Crimson_687

Hi Crimson, my betta is missing scales on top of his head where it is white. He was like that when I got him it doesn’t seem to effect him.I haven’t seen him hurt himself at least not that I know of and no and I don’t think so but u can check out my aquarium picture. My Ph=7.6 Ammonia=2.0 Nitrite=0 Nitrate=5.0 The temperature of the tank is 80f & stays constant. I feed him OmegaOne Betta Buffet flakes and sometimes Tetramin mini Betta pellets.
If your ammonia is 2 ppm do a 50% water change ASAP to get it down, it’s possible your tank is not completely cycled or that your cycled was damaged, it’s good you still have nitrates so some bacteria is still there, it’s just not enough to support the bioload of the tank. That could be what is stressing your betta. If you can, use seachem prime as a water conditioner, it will detoxify ammonia for 48 hours and you can Redose to help your tank while the bacteria colony expands.

Do you have ammonia in your tap water? It could be this, in which case definitely use seachem prime as it will allow your tank time to convert ammonia into nitrate when there is a WC, but it could be your test kit is faulty? Try retesting your ammonia a few times, maybe test spring water as well to compare. There shouldn’t be ammonia in the tank at all

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BellaFriedrick
Replies
Views
Caffee
  • Question
Replies
Views
Bettamay